New to forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Ok, i have tested the water ph nitrates ect. looks good for gold fish. Now what plant(s) can I use for the fish to eat that won't overgrow the pond. I need low maintenance ideas, thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you will have goldfish, put some lilies in there. They are easy to grow, provide shade in the hot part of summer, and winter over very nicely as long as their tuber remains unfrozen (put them deep - 2-3.5' is good). If you are looking for plants that the fish will eat, not sure what to tell you, others will have better ideas on that. I know my goldies love to groom the algae off of the lily stems (and the sides of the pond, too). Plants are often used to help filter the water, use up the fertilizer (poop) the fish create, and provide some character to the ponds. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Well, put 12 comets in Monday. Cleaned the skimmer filter (today), had two dead. Didn't see the others, and was affraid the other 10 had died. Nope, the others were out and about, then under the stone shelter I built for them in the center of the pond. I hope they will multiply that is the reason I haven't put more than a dozen in this time. Rock work around the bank is completed, now some landscaping. School starts next Wednesday with preview night this Monday. Yep, I'll be there!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just watch because some plants that shed or the fish can break up can clog your pump .I use grasses and came up with a holder of my own for grasses .I use window screening and fishing line and sew pockets to hold the pots with a tail that goes up over the side and a rock holds the tail down

Attachments

• pond roberts tv insurance 027.JPG
    pond roberts tv insurance 027.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 259

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That pond turned out really nice after all the work you put into it. The kids will love it and watching the fish swim. Next year you need to add some really pretty water lilies. Sometimes you can get them here from people who are dividing up their own and all you have to do is pay for shipping which is a really good deal.

Ask a Question