New to forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Thanks. I have to order some hardy water lillies for winter as the water lettuce won't winter over. Plan is to just remove the pump, and let the fish (hopefully) survive winter. That whole courtyard area is nice. i am so happy to once again see the kids use it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
perhaps you might want to add a solar heater to up the temp so it won't freeze. I need to use one once in a while. You can control what you want the water temp to be. Even on cold days you can see the fish hang around the warm water coming out.

Reaction score
You will need a bubbler or heater to keep a whole in the ice so the gases will escape and not kill the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kevin it may well be a idea to net the pond against leaves you dont want thm to start rotting down in the bottom of the pond , they can cause all sort of problems and harbour alsorts of nasties harmful to the fish

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
You will need a bubbler or heater to keep a whole in the ice so the gases will escape and not kill the fish.
Thanks, i am looking at a 300 watt heater for winter. I've actually when my grandaughter was at the local library reading program this summer, picked up some material about fish/pond ect.

Reaction score
If you watch craigslist you can find great deals on used pond stuff also. That is how I got my whole set up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Well, I am looking at low temp bacteria. When should I add it? Does it need a time to activate, and will it (unused) keep? This is about a 4500 gallon pond so reading what I know should be less than 2 oz. Can I store the remander outside in a storage cabinent?
I am going to vaccum, and net it before "heavy" fall as to keep the leaves at a minimum, and add a heater. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The bacteria will grow from the algae in the water, and the fish will fertilize it and keep it going. Once the water gets cold, it will die anyhow. So, might be best to store your bacteria until spring. That's when I put some in, to boost the beneficial bacteria and get it going sooner. Once the water warms up, the bacteria will begin to grow, but the algae usually has a head start, and thus green water results.

Ask a Question