New to forums - Hi all

Reaction score
just wanted advise on my Koi pond, have had it for over 10 years, and now wear may be taking over on the foundation... something I dreaded... I currently have 10 Koi ( med size) use to have 15 but lost the oldest due to water contamination,sad day... Non-the-less I have a question, any ideas on why I may be losing water too fast? Its got a home-made filtetration system, and works pretty well over the years, In January I installed a UV-light filter to manage the algae- great addition. The water normally requires a 8-10 gallon "refill" 30-40 days due to evaporation. But, 2 weeks ago I started having to refill with 30 gallons by end of each week. Thats insane. I worry if I have a leak now..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

welcomewagon-15.gif

Is it a liner pond? or concrete.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, More information would help, is it going to one level and stopping, is it liner or concrete, How old is it? Pics? Plenty of good folks here that will help if there is enough information to figure out what's going on.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Everyone here are very helpful.

Check around the sides also for wet / moist dirt. But be sure it is not a spot where you use the hose to replace water.
:regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This formula was taken from the University of Arizona and using So Cal "Pan" evaporation constants, your pond should lose 219 gallons a month in normal evaporation alone. That is if it is 10' x 10'.
Your information just says 10' and that leaves the other dimension to imagination. Your pond would have to be only 6" wide and 10' long to have only 8-10 gallons loss that you say is normal.

Reaction score
thank you all for such a helpful response... I will take some pics and then figure out how to upload them... the pond is 10 feet long, 5 fee wide and 3 feet deep. I used a liner and then placed river rocks along the sides with cement. It has a small waterfall... I will check for moist spots around the edges.. I also wanted to know if anyone knows where I can get turtles? I used to have 3 of them, but I left for a couple months abroad and they we gone. My house sitter said he didn't notice them gone since they are always hiding from him. But its been 3 years and I really want to see about adding them to my water community. Bullfrogs are fun too, but they always wonder off into nearby neighbors I can only hope. Thanks so much for listening big hugs for your help. :regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question