New to ponds in Southeastern Ohio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by natbla, Dec 11, 2011.

1. natbla

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

See the ice forming on the falls? That is a potential disaster, the ice will form a dam slowly, next thing you know the water is flowing out of your pond. So just keep an good eye on your falls.
    The bubbler is doing it job! great

addy1, Dec 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. natbla

natbla

I'm concerned about the ice too. So the falls go off by Christmas. We'll be above freezing for the next 4 days so that will help.

natbla, Dec 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. natbla

j.w I Love my Goldies

Neat pix natbla and yep better get those falls turned off soon. Good you have the bubbler going to keep the hole open.

j.w, Dec 13, 2011
  4. natbla

taherrmann4 Tmann

You can plant regular bamboo and keep it from spreading if you take some basic precautions.. Put a 2' diameter plastic pot in the ground and only bury it up to the last 2" this will keep the rhizomes from jumping over the pot and into the free land where it will spread like crazy. This acts like a fence, but you have to be careful when you mulch that you don't cover this "fence". Also take several layers of a good weed fabric and put it in the hole before the pot this will keep it from growing out the holes in the bottom of the pot. Even with this method you still have to keep your eye on it and if you see any travelers you have to take action right away.

I had ice on one of my creeks and it starting an ice damn so I shut mine down last week.

taherrmann4, Dec 13, 2011
  5. natbla

natbla

I'm torn about turning off the falls as I love the look of ice on water falls and streams. But I don't want to have issues with damming so I'll turn it off once it gets cold again.

natbla, Dec 13, 2011
  6. natbla

natbla

Well I stopped at Wally World and picked up a second 5" bubbler and rubber banded it to the first one. So now I have a much stronger column of bubbles going to the surface from 18" down. That shoud be enough aeration force to keep a hole open for the winter as long as the pump holds out.

natbla, Dec 15, 2011
  7. natbla

j.w I Love my Goldies

Sounds good to me!

j.w, Dec 15, 2011
  8. natbla

natbla

So it looks like the oxygen levels were down in my pond. As the fish are now all hanging out near the bubbler. That and they are swimming around a bunch due to the 60 degree weather with warm rain today. What's a cheap option for testing O2 levels in a pond, and what is the level it should be for healthy gold fish?

natbla, Dec 16, 2011
  9. natbla

They seem to like the water movement bubblers make, if they are not at the top of the water sucking air your pond is most likely ok.

Mine go and hang out off and on at the bubbler, but I never see them sucking air at the surface of the water.

addy1, Dec 16, 2011
  10. natbla

natbla

That's good to know. The biggest difference I seen with my fish right now is that they are much more active since the temps went up the last few days. Also, between the bubbler in one corner pushing water up, and the pump pulling water in from 2 ft down on the other corner, I have a significant circular current on the surface of the pond. I don't see it as a problem, though I'm trying to figure out how I can use it to auto collect surface debris without doing a major project that changes the aesthetics of the pond.

natbla, Dec 16, 2011
  11. natbla

natbla

Here are pictures of a few of my fish that I took last night. I have 9 in the pond, but 3-4 of them are hiding at most times. I don't have reflective problems at night so the pictures look better (though a little out of focus) than those I've taken during the day.

Here is my biggest fish by far. He's twice the size of the others. As a frame of reference you can see one of the normal sized fish in the top right corner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the one whose color I like best:

[​IMG]

And this one shows my other two-color gold fish, with my favorite and one of the standard colored ones. At the top of the pic is the big guy's head.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the pictures show how much cleaning I still need to as well. I assume its too cold at this time of year to clean and that has to wait until spring, right?

natbla, Dec 21, 2011
  12. natbla

Nah, you can take a net and gently remove the junk, better than letting it rot in the water. Esp if your water freezes over.

addy1, Dec 22, 2011
  13. natbla

natbla

Well a quick update:

I'm very slowly getting the things I want/need for up keep on the pond and prep for building a new one next year. I've decided I'll build a modified 2 chamber skippy style filter to accommodatie the current pond with more fish and handle both once the new larger pond is constructed.
    I'm using a 6 year old roughneck rubber maide tote (37 gal). Its got a much thicker plastic than the ones on sale these days). It will be my biological/ fine particle filter, and a 49 gal tote I purchased for $20 yesterday. It will need some reinforcing with an exterior shell or some kind of tentioned harness (made of what I have on hand. This tank will be a settling tank. The plan is for a 2" inlet pipe from the pond (fed by the pump, a 3" outlet from near the top of the tote leading to the bottom of the biofilter, and two 2" outlet pipes heading back to the pond(s) at the top and other side of the second tote. I'm hoping to get the electrical conduit fittings next week, and find a couple dumpster based items to used as screens that will separate the parts of the tanks and filters. I went with this design because its lower profile, and with a usable 70 gallons of space was more potential filtering capacity if I ended up taking longer for the pump and had an increase in fish load. I'll post pics of the totes tomorrow if I get a chance.

natbla, Jan 14, 2012
  14. natbla

sissy sissy

I saw a filter the other day at a house here they spray foamed the outside of the tank to insulate it and make it stiffer to hold up .I was wondering if you could also use foam core board the same way on a square or rectangular tank by just wrapping it around the tank bungee cord it or glue it ..They told me they used the spray foam that they used to insulate there crawl space as it came in a bigger canister for for bigger jobs .I know I have used the foam it green stuff in the walls and floor of my guest house and wish i had thought to do my filters with it .I used the leftover to get any gaps in my house closed up and also insulate a shed .I think I may try to see if I can find it around here in the bigger size .The cans lowes sells one be to small ,plus I could make another spray foam fake hollow rock with chicken wire and burlap

sissy, Jan 14, 2012
  15. natbla

natbla

I'm curious, did they spray the fome before or after the tote had water in it? I'm heading to Lancaster, OH today so I may price/buy at least one of the fittings today.

natbla, Jan 14, 2012
  16. natbla

sissy sissy

they said they sprayed it with water in it because the first one cracked the foam off in spots when they filled it with water and that roughing the tote up a little with sand paper because the tote was smooth and did not stick but they did end up with a pretty neat planter from the first failure .I liked the planter as they painted it a grey and it looked like cement without the weight

sissy, Jan 14, 2012
  17. natbla

natbla

Yesterday we had the worst rain I've seen since we moved here. I think we got 2 inches in less than an hour. As a result the water overwhelmed the berm behind my pond and I must have had run off into the pond because it went from clear in the morning to cloudy at lunch. I think it ran under the waterfall liner and over the lip of pond. Up until yesterday, I thought it was all one piece, but yesterday afternoon I could see on one side were the is a gap between the two pieces of lining. So I restarted the pump to clear some of the sediment before it settled to the bottom. This made a big difference by the time the temps finished their plunge from over 50 to 25 degrees. All of the ice on the surface melted by the end of the day, and hasn't started to refreeze yet despite the temps.

Worst thing is, I think I have a small ice puncture as there is a small trickle of water dripping down the face of the front wall. Luckily, its coming out at the top of the top retaining wall brick. This is the low point in the pond so there is an outside chance its not a cut. If I'm really lucky this is really only more water leaking out of the bricks from the massive water push from yesterday. If I'm only lucky, the floating ice was pushed into the wall by the heavy wind and it punctured the liner about 1 inch below the top of the liner.

natbla, Jan 18, 2012
  18. natbla

Wow hope your liner is ok, most likely it is, with that amount of water hitting that fast it will run out for a while.

addy1, Jan 18, 2012
  19. natbla

sissy sissy

Could be since the rain was so heavy some of it got washed behind your liner and is just running out of your retaing wall .I had that happen to mine and thought it was a leak also and it just turned out it was a gap there that allowed the water to escape

sissy, Jan 18, 2012
  20. natbla

natbla

I hope that you guys are right. I'm worried that its a leak because with more normal rains the pond would fill up and run over for a couple days. But this morning it was already down about 1 " from the top. I'll check again when I go home at lunch. But I don't have time today to deal with a major issue with the pond. I"m the Exec. Dir. of a Housing Authority and my board meets tonight so I'l be home for a total of an hour between now and 11 PM tonight. Plus, while I have a 30 gal. aquarium that I recently purchased it needs to be cleaned (it was used for hamsters) and tested for leaks before I can fill it and let it set and then add fish to it. Plus I don't yet have an aquarium filter yet.

natbla, Jan 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question