new water fountain making fish sick?

Reaction score
I recently put a bronze metal fountain statue (I think its bronze) on the edge of our small pond. The next day I fed the fish and the fish didn't want to eat. The fish usually are spunky and splashing water while feeding. Now the fish don't even come to eat. 2 fish have died so far. I drained the pond and filled it with fresh water and also cleaned the pond filters. The remaining fish are doing a little better. I have a sucker catfish and a shark. They are normal. I then thought what would be the cause of this? Could the minerals in the metal of the fountain be poisoning the water? Any thoughts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be if you have gotten rain bronze oxidizes and releases chemicals just like copper .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I doubt that enough copper could have leached from your fountain in a short time to kill your fish. Have you checked your water parameters? It could be water quality.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome3985.gif
Chris
The liquid ones are the best IMHO. API makes a good one and here are some links through Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000255NCI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Did you wash/rinse this bronze fountain off.
and what did you use if anything.
Is there a oil sheen on the pond sometimes those statues are covered with a oil and that could be leaching in to your pond.

I would remove it to be safe put charcoal in your filter and do some water changes small amounts every other day.

Ruben

Reaction score
Chris,

I cannot imagine anything regarding brass, bronze or copper harming your fish or the chemical ecology of your pond, especially not in such a very short time. Alloys of copper should never harm your fish just by being in contact with the water. Copper alloys can kill or at least deter certain bacteria, however, which I think would be good. They are implementing the use of copper more often now in hospitals and clinics because of this inherent bacteriacidal qualities. But, unless the copper and its compounds were actually dissolved into the water, I cannot believe your fish suffered because of the metals in the statue. If it is truly bronze, then the main other alloy element would be tin and that should have no effect either.

If the problem resulted from the statue or fountain, it is likely as Ruben stated - some contaminant - some protective oil or coating that either came from the mfg process or something the marketing/sales people may have coated it with to seal the surface from the elements unwittingly, or else some other source. If it was used, than maybe there were some parasites or bacteria or other contaiminants within the pumpworks or other portions of the structure. Or possibley, it ws just an untimely coincidence and really has no relation to the statue itself. Maybe a change due to the installation of the statue/fountain, but not the fountain itself.

Unless someone has a better theory or better information than what I can surmise, I would be looking for another suspect in this matter. The pond chemistry in regards to the typical "death agents" is where I would begin first.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, check your water parameters. You can get a good liquid test kit with PH, KH, GH, Ammonia, etc. at any local pet shop if they have aquarium fish. You said you drained the pond and filled it with fresh water ..... if you have city water and chlorine in your water, that is a huge no-no, but hopefully you have well water that was ok to add and refill with. Otherwise, you may have done more damage by draining and refilling than good. Water slowly builds up good bacteria that helps keep your pond water stabilized. So, when you drain and refill, it has to rejuvenate all that "good stuff" again. Hopefully the problem has fixed itself by now, since you have not posted lately.
And, Welcome!!!

Reaction score
I have always thought there shouldn't be any metals in a pond, however I have to agree with everyone else in that your problems happened too quickly for the problems to be related to the metal fountain. Definitely start checking your water parameters. How many fish are left and how do they look?

Here is an article on ponds and metals. http://www.pondtrademag.com/articles/ar-168/

Ask a Question