Newbie New Pond Construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Been hauling some more rocks. Still have some exposed liner where I'll need some creeping jenny or similar to climb over the wall to hide it. I can maybe get one more rock in there but I'm not so sure as the ledge stops and it becomes a sheer cliff.

Still, happy to have most of the bog all rocked now.

IMG_20201016_145409697_HDR.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Been hauling some more rocks. Still have some exposed liner where I'll need some creeping jenny or similar to climb over the wall to hide it. I can maybe get one more rock in there but I'm not so sure as the ledge stops and it becomes a sheer cliff.

Still, happy to have most of the bog all rocked now.

View attachment 134675
NOw that is some top notch work, even my fourth pond isnt gonna look that good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One edge treatment that i learned was to have along the entire pond is to gave a shelf about an inch or two that is below the water level. This will hide the bottom of the rock as it sits in the shallows. This makes covering the rubber much easier as the rock even if its only say 4 inches thick. It doesn't need to be laid flat on the shelf. If it is angled in toward the pond and higher then a neighboring rock looks very natural in this manner. Then on the back side of the rock you fold the rubber above the water line and bury your line onside the edge bolder. Use rocks sticks, gravel, mulch, moss, but beware of anything that wraps over that it doesn't which water out of the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One edge treatment that i learned was to have along the entire pond is to gave a shelf about an inch or two that is below the water level. This will hide the bottom of the rock as it sits in the shallows. This makes covering the rubber much easier as the rock even if its only say 4 inches thick. It doesn't need to be laid flat on the shelf. If it is angled in toward the pond and higher then a neighboring rock looks very natural in this manner. Then on the back side of the rock you fold the rubber above the water line and bury your line onside the edge bolder. Use rocks sticks, gravel, mulch, moss, but beware of anything that wraps over that it doesn't which water out of the pond

+1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love watching the pros do edges. They have 101 tricks for any kind of challenge they face.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't have the hours in building ponds for others but i can't even count the amount of different edge details i was forced to come up with to build my pond with the multi levels and uses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Yea that's basically the edge trick we used around this pond. It's the wall between the bog and the pond that I actually ended up digging away the shelf I had there since I wanted a deep side to stash a fish cave and give a predator safe zone.

If I planned a little better i could have still had both the sheer wall and small cutout for rocks on that side but alas I was moving too quickly. I do have a little shelf to work with but it's important to me that all the rocks are big and locked in cause I have two kids I want to be able to freely climb and explore. If I end up needing to wait a season for the plants, moss, and algae to kick in over there that's ok. Only a few more rocks to haul and this project will be done! You know... For now hehe

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still have some exposed liner
If you have one, a nice big flat rock that hangs over the edge anchored with big rocks on it on land. Even a few big flat rocks, it would help visually hide the edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I've taken a break from rock hauling for some other chores but wanted to drop an update here. The water has cleared up super well but the weather has gotten pretty foul lately. I'll post another once all the rest of the rocks are in. At least all the leaves are down!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very cool. Pond looks great. Bog filter seems to be working well. That intake bay is clearly doing an excellent job. Look forward to more updates as you put the finishing touches on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did a quick video today after finally dealing with all of the grading around the pond and remaining gravel piles. Really happy with how everything is coming together so far.

looking good and your effort is paying off! One thing re the moss; most need shadier and moist conditions. From what I see, your stone is too dry for moss to take hold. My moss grows just fine on the side rocks of my waterfall and rocks near/touchging the pond water. See if you can get moisture nearer the top of your gravel and it may work as the stones will hold water somewhat. Also from your vid, not sure you have enough shade but perhaps all the leaves have fallen and you're fine in that regard?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Good call. It's in a shady maple grove, ideally the bog will get a lot of sun but the part by the waterfall should be pretty shady. We'll have to see now that we've cleared out some of the trees how it plays out in spring.

Ask a Question