Newbie New Pond Construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Ended the day by digging out the high ledge and rocking around the waterfall.
IMG_20201010_175309923.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Finished adjusting the grade and rocking in the main pond yesterday evening, including a large "chilling stone" that's the perfect size for sitting on and leaning up against the tree that after much debate we decided to keep because it edges the pond so nicely.

IMG_20201012_073443175.jpg

IMG_20201012_073514425.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Water is also clearing more everyday even though we've been in and out of pond with dusty rocks and digging all around. Hoping now we can leave it alone for a day or two and really see it clear up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's interesting what perspective does... those rocks look enormous until you see the chair sitting by the pond. How big is your pond again? And maybe I missed something, but what is the liner covered hump at the one edge?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love that you have your chair already by the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
The liner covered hump is the wall between the bog and pond. It ended up a bit too thick. The dirt was so dry and dusty I was worried about collapse and settling, but in retrospect I could have shaved it down quite a bit.

Ultimately I need to source some creeping jenny or some kinda walking grass to hang over in a few spots where it's a sheer drop. There is some edge on the other side of the waterfall I'll put some rocks on before the drop off that'll help hide some liner but it wont cover everything.

Rock wise they're big but not massive since it's just my wife and I moving them with a few simple machines. The big stone near the chair is probably the biggest and is maaaaybe just under 300lbs or so if I had to guess. The ones around the falls, with the exception of the cap stone are all able to be moved by one person with good footing. The big thing for us has been making them big enough and locked in enough that us and our kids and freely explore the edge without worrying about a rock slide heh.

As for the chair hehe, I've been spending time everyday sitting next to the pond as it has been inching closer and closer to completion trying to figure out which rocks to haul up and how to adjust the land around the pond. The hammock and the chair are key in cracking the rest of this puzzle.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice that is a bit bigger than my 1000 gallon stock tank, 9 feet diameter and 2.5 feet deep. My shubbies love that lil pond and I have maybe 5 or 6 lilies in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Does that number of lilies cover a lot of the pond? I don't have a good frame of reference for how many plants we'll need by the "end" of everything.

I added a few plants this afternoon and found some more good rocks to help hide the excess liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does that number of lilies cover a lot of the pond?
It is a bit too many, they have not grown the best, two old old apple trees have almost totally shaded the 1000 gallon pond. I just had the two trees chopped back, so I will probably need to remove some. In the big pond they grow like weeds, full sun, I have around 15ish. It also depends on the plants foot print some take a bunch of room, 7 feet, some make a smaller foot print 4 to 5 feet. some are smaller.

This was just taken about 7 days ago, the entire pond surface looks like this area. Lilies and parrots feather. It is netted, the heron almost wiped it out a few years back.
20201002_134948(1).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday and a lot of wind. The pond hasn't overflown yet and the drainage and grading around it is holding up. Check out the intake bay!

IMG_20201014_130436226_HDR.jpg

It's supposed to rain again so I imagine I'll see the overflow scenario within the next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Intake bay is earning its keep. Think you made the right choice over a skimmer in your situation.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday and a lot of wind. The pond hasn't overflown yet and the drainage and grading around it is holding up. Check out the intake bay!

View attachment 134647

It's supposed to rain again so I imagine I'll see the overflow scenario within the next week.
that intake bay sure is pulling in a lot of leaves!

Ask a Question