Newbie New Pond Construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Does that number of lilies cover a lot of the pond? I don't have a good frame of reference for how many plants we'll need by the "end" of everything.

I added a few plants this afternoon and found some more good rocks to help hide the excess liner.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does that number of lilies cover a lot of the pond?
It is a bit too many, they have not grown the best, two old old apple trees have almost totally shaded the 1000 gallon pond. I just had the two trees chopped back, so I will probably need to remove some. In the big pond they grow like weeds, full sun, I have around 15ish. It also depends on the plants foot print some take a bunch of room, 7 feet, some make a smaller foot print 4 to 5 feet. some are smaller.

This was just taken about 7 days ago, the entire pond surface looks like this area. Lilies and parrots feather. It is netted, the heron almost wiped it out a few years back.
20201002_134948(1).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday and a lot of wind. The pond hasn't overflown yet and the drainage and grading around it is holding up. Check out the intake bay!

IMG_20201014_130436226_HDR.jpg

It's supposed to rain again so I imagine I'll see the overflow scenario within the next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Intake bay is earning its keep. Think you made the right choice over a skimmer in your situation.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday and a lot of wind. The pond hasn't overflown yet and the drainage and grading around it is holding up. Check out the intake bay!

View attachment 134647

It's supposed to rain again so I imagine I'll see the overflow scenario within the next week.
that intake bay sure is pulling in a lot of leaves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Been hauling some more rocks. Still have some exposed liner where I'll need some creeping jenny or similar to climb over the wall to hide it. I can maybe get one more rock in there but I'm not so sure as the ledge stops and it becomes a sheer cliff.

Still, happy to have most of the bog all rocked now.

IMG_20201016_145409697_HDR.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Been hauling some more rocks. Still have some exposed liner where I'll need some creeping jenny or similar to climb over the wall to hide it. I can maybe get one more rock in there but I'm not so sure as the ledge stops and it becomes a sheer cliff.

Still, happy to have most of the bog all rocked now.

View attachment 134675
NOw that is some top notch work, even my fourth pond isnt gonna look that good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One edge treatment that i learned was to have along the entire pond is to gave a shelf about an inch or two that is below the water level. This will hide the bottom of the rock as it sits in the shallows. This makes covering the rubber much easier as the rock even if its only say 4 inches thick. It doesn't need to be laid flat on the shelf. If it is angled in toward the pond and higher then a neighboring rock looks very natural in this manner. Then on the back side of the rock you fold the rubber above the water line and bury your line onside the edge bolder. Use rocks sticks, gravel, mulch, moss, but beware of anything that wraps over that it doesn't which water out of the pond

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One edge treatment that i learned was to have along the entire pond is to gave a shelf about an inch or two that is below the water level. This will hide the bottom of the rock as it sits in the shallows. This makes covering the rubber much easier as the rock even if its only say 4 inches thick. It doesn't need to be laid flat on the shelf. If it is angled in toward the pond and higher then a neighboring rock looks very natural in this manner. Then on the back side of the rock you fold the rubber above the water line and bury your line onside the edge bolder. Use rocks sticks, gravel, mulch, moss, but beware of anything that wraps over that it doesn't which water out of the pond
+1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love watching the pros do edges. They have 101 tricks for any kind of challenge they face.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't have the hours in building ponds for others but i can't even count the amount of different edge details i was forced to come up with to build my pond with the multi levels and uses.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Yea that's basically the edge trick we used around this pond. It's the wall between the bog and the pond that I actually ended up digging away the shelf I had there since I wanted a deep side to stash a fish cave and give a predator safe zone.

If I planned a little better i could have still had both the sheer wall and small cutout for rocks on that side but alas I was moving too quickly. I do have a little shelf to work with but it's important to me that all the rocks are big and locked in cause I have two kids I want to be able to freely climb and explore. If I end up needing to wait a season for the plants, moss, and algae to kick in over there that's ok. Only a few more rocks to haul and this project will be done! You know... For now hehe

Reactions: cas
Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still have some exposed liner
If you have one, a nice big flat rock that hangs over the edge anchored with big rocks on it on land. Even a few big flat rocks, it would help visually hide the edge.

Ask a Question