sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plants look healthy and if you have snails in there they must be happy .All i can think is ph and oxygen .I would check the sunterra filter not sure if it is a bio or pressure filter and if you have to back flush it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
googled it and if they are right pressure filter,open it if it smells like a sewer that is your problem .The pressure filters I have found need to be back flushed 4 or 5 times a day .They never work the way they say they do .

Reaction score
It doesn't small too terrible. Just like fish poo. I ordered some testing supplies w/ my Prime, so should have some results to post in 2 days. Seems like sometimes the fish get, like a bump on their abdomen? Nothing too large, but noticeable. But some also do not and we lose them. We really love it, but it feels like a money pit right now :(. Any other recommendations for the pond? Is the algie "sediment", as I refer so it, along the liner ok? No rocks on the bottom ok?

Thanks for all the help, much apprecaited!

Reaction score
wow so sorry to hear that.. definitely test your water first, once you get your reading it may be easier for the group to give assistance

Reaction score
Ok. Here are the rest results:
Amonia: Between Ideal and Safe
Nitrate NO3: Safe
Nirtrate NO2: Safe
Total Hardness GH: Very Hard
Chlorine: Safe
Total Alkalinity: It turned blue. Color code only goes from Yellow To Green (Assuming Bad)
Ph: Alkaline

Assuming Alkaline is my problem? Anyone have any suggestions or what I need?

Reaction score
alkaline depending on the actual number can be bad.. you don't want over say 8-8.5... unfortunately those test strips don't give a clear understanding of actual water quality... if you and wife are still going to keep pond get the type that was linked earlier... you could try a partial maybe 10-15% water change and add some dechlorinator... i believe it was also mentioned about checking your pump/filter as it may need a good cleaning/rinsing... do not use detergents... after you do those things wait a week or so and then try adding a couple of feeder fish...look for healthy ones

Reaction score
never heard of that product.. might be a little leary of it... i would use de-chlorinator and whenever you fill pond from hose, set the nozzle to fan or shower or something like that...don't just place hose in the pond...city water is going to have chlorine in it which is bad for fish... you want the water to splash and help remove chlorine, won't do it by itself that way but that and de-chlor will greatly diminish it

Reaction score
that should be fine..reputable company or this
PondCare Stress Coat

someone else may know more on the make tap safe product

Reaction score
Ok, I am an idiot and didn't read the label right. There are approximate levels to the colors. Let me repost the pond test w/ numbers, and I will also post my water that I use, untreated:

Pond Water:
Amonia: Between Ideal and Safe
Nitrate NO3: Safe - 0
Nirtrate NO2: Safe - 0
Total Hardness GH: Very Hard - 300
Chlorine: Safe - 0
Total Alkalinity: It turned blue. Color code only goes from Yellow To Green (Assuming Bad) Assuming Greater than 300
Ph: Alkaline - Greater than 8.8 I think.

Tap Water is pretty much the same, but with slightly higher Nitrates.

Assuming Alkaline/PH is too high. Best way to reduce it?

Reaction score
hmmm.. tap water is high ph as well...unfortunately the best and easy way is probably not available to you and that would be ground water or rain water... i would hold off using chemicals to lower ph unless absolutely last resource... if you have an aerator and air pump that can help lower it as well.... i would give it some more time and see if it lowers...did you backwash or clean/rinse out filter?

Ask a Question