Newbie to Ponds

Reaction score
hmmm.. tap water is high ph as well...unfortunately the best and easy way is probably not available to you and that would be ground water or rain water... i would hold off using chemicals to lower ph unless absolutely last resource... if you have an aerator and air pump that can help lower it as well.... i would give it some more time and see if it lowers...did you backwash or clean/rinse out filter?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I drove my remaining fish into a credible milwaukee store that I use once in a while. They inspected the fish, and said it has to be something internal (paraside/infection). So, i purchased some PondCare stuff to try to fix that.
They also tested my water, and while the PH was high, they said it shouldn't be killing off my fish.

I also switched up my food to Blue Ridge Mini food.

I am also thinking about purchasing this for parasites:
http://www.amazon.co...e+Pond+Treament

Anyone have any experiences with parasites? Shouldn't I see something? I know last year when I was on vacation, my wife found red/redish small worms in our pond. By the time I returned from vacation, however, they were gone.

In good news, we did buy a dozen of comets to try to test w/ the new stuff in our pond.
In more good news, when cleaning out the pond and inspecting it this AM, I found baby fish!. probably 1/4" - 5/16" long and they were not there yesterday. I have seen 4 or 5 so far today. Are they hatching right now? Anyway to tell what type of fish they are?

Also, a bit of feedback if I can ask too: Here is where my water comes out to my "waterfall", do you think this provides enough aeration? My fish aren't gasping for air, but I want to make sure.

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it greatly!

Reaction score
I am gonna say that's a bit low and looking back you said a 1500 gph filter, guessing no more than a 3 foot head to top of falls, i would think water should be coming out faster..did you check everything on filter/pump to make sure nothing clogging? i try to stay away from the chemical products nut have had success with pondzyme products... i might say do a water change and use the de-chlor before using the ph down stuff...did you test to see what your ph is coming from faucet?

Ask a Question