Newest problem...mosquito larvae.

Reaction score
My pond is new, just a few months old. It went through green water stage and cleared itself up a few days ago. I thought all was well, but now today the waterfall rocks have a brown algae (I guess it's algae) all over them, and it's showing up on the few rocks lining the inside of the pond too. And now today there are mosquito pods allllll over the pond.

What can I do? I have mosquito dunks already, I'm going to add one in in a minute. But I don't know how well this is going to work alone.

Can i add mosquito fish? There are 3 small koi (3-4 inches) and 3 comet goldfish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish eat up the mosquito's, try letting them get a little hungry, they will snack on the wigglers.

Reaction score
Cyprinid species such as carp, goldfish, etc relish mosquito larvae. It is one of their natural food sources. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless they are getting into the filter box and hatching in there.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As far as I know goldfish eat mosquitoes. I've never knowingly had an issue with them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have none either, the fish munch on them, if they manage to even lay eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nornmally if the surfacewater of your pond is agitated they wont lay their eggs they require still and stagnent waters however they would be freebies for your fish to snack on , we have a cloud of miggies above our pond , they land on the net and are picked off by our koi its all free food

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Don't feed and allow the fish to eat them, I don't recommend using dunks with fish, they do contain a substance that can make o2 exchange in your water harder to take in O2 and release carbon diozide. also there are chemicals that aren't good for fishes gills. Heavy agitation to the surface will also do more good as the wigglers can come to the surface to breath so better chance the fish will eat them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saw too many 'shells' of the mosquito larvae in my pond.. just floating on the surface... I wonder if my fish got them and spit those out or they turned into those suckers

I have guppies and goldfish in my pond.. But I still see the larvae sometimes...it might be blending in with the wine color water I have...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Imagine the snake skin when the snake shredded it. It's like that. Clear skin the shape of the larvae. I think it meant it gone to be mosquito and not got eaten.

Ask a Question