addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My stream has standing water during the day, it gets flushed 3 times a day when it comes on by timer. I have never seen any mosquitoes in the stream ponds. (no fish) I have had mosquito kids in a few deck pots that can hold water, I just toss the water out.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gotcha. That seems doable. Is a fountain or waterfall preferable for aerating the water? I mean does one do a better job? I'd rather build a waterfall since I kind of have a protrusion in the center that lends itself to a waterfall.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So Addy, I might be able to only have the waterfall on at certain times to stir up the water so to speak and wouldn't have to run it 24/7 depending on heat and what the skeeters are doing?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol totally up to you. All my water moves except the stream ponds, They get flushed i.e any skeeter kids get washed down to be eaten by the fish. So not having water movement all the time in your pond might make it possible for the skeeter kids to get laid then they will grow. I think, it is just during laying the water needs to be still.
So most likely you would want to have an aerator running all of the time, you can get ones that are cheap to run.

Without fish or plants, you could toss in chemicals but that would kill off frogs, dragon files etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use an air pump that puts up lots of bubbles. The airline tubing that comes from the 12 output lines have air stones on the ends that makes the bubbles tiny. Like tiny bubbles in your wine, makes ya feel happy, makes ya feel fine................oh I kind of went off there :LOL:
I have a waterfall too,runs 24/7 and some water shooting fountain dealy bobs too. All runs 24/7.Lots of movement is good for aeration but I have quiet spots also where the fish can go to relax if they get tire of the water park rides :sneaky:
I have goldfish and there is never one skeeter in there at anytime that I ever see. If one were to land the fish would greet them w/ a big sucking kiss :kiss:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah when I first moved in the guy at Lowes told me to toss in a few cups of chlorine to kill the bugs and slime. I had white colored frogs hopping around for days! Is rather not kill the critters. Well except for the snake but just because he scared the crap outta me. Lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OH NO Heaven forbid! Chlorine is bad for critters. Shame on him for telling you that. Snakes good too for garden bugs but might eat fish too and hope it is not poisonous.
Yes I have pond pix and I am considered kind of nutty at times by some but I am really just a shy, sweet angel........................ha,ha,ha yeah right :p

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If by some you mean all your friends, family, relatives, neighbors, the lady that bags your groceries, and your pets then, yeah only some consider me looney. It's the ones that don't know any better that think I'm normal.
And a big huge thank you for everyone patience, help, input, and wisdom. I have to do something with this hole since I have a feeling the hubby has been planning my death and using that as my burial site! I'll show him, (insert evil laugh here). But seriously thank you all!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Told my hubby to behave or he might get buried under a new pond, my tractor could have one done pretty quick!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing! I bought 38000 lbs..................a partial truck load. My honey said whatever you want dear..............kept me busy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MOI? Not helping.............lol Hey pond first then as he sees it so pretty................add........................

Ask a Question