No fish, no plants, just water.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got a lot done, even with all the water I got a lot done. I have decided I need a wheelbarrow as my little garden cart isn't going to do the trick!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 182

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wanted to turn your photo so I could see it better. Wow that is a lot of dirt in there. Yep you need a wheelbarrow or 2 or 3 alright! So the people before you just decided they didn't want a pond anymore and just left the liner in and filled it w/ dirt. Giant mud hole!
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for rotating, I was posting from my phone and couldn't figure it out. No, this is just years of accumulated dirt, leaves, grass clippings. It does look like they put about a foot of sand in the bottom of the pond after it was built. I don't know why they did that, I think they used to keep Koi so maybe the sand had a purpose. I found a hose that might still be plumbed to the spigot on the other side of the yard that I can leave on the bottom for filling when needed. Honestly I'm hoping to find electrical in the bottom. When we first bought the house and started weeding the pond, we found what looked like a lobster cage in the middle and some fake rocks, which may have been a housing for a pump or filter. I assume the husband took the filter out when he divorced the woman I bought the house from, so I'm hoping there is some type of wiring underneath the muck.

Reaction score
View attachment 73075 View attachment 73076 So I started digging yesterday and found more treasures than just rocks! I found Gold (rocks), Silver (rocks) and (a) pot and since you all have been so good to me, I wanted to offer you the opportunity to come dig for treasure with me, I mean what are friends for. I promise to split the loot 60/40.
Ohhh we LOVE our rocks!!!!! Nice they are!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
jw, do you recommend putting the waterfall into the deeper or shallower end? I am going back and forth with where to place it and how to build it and still trying to fit the idea of a bog above it. The problem is I have a huge tree that sheds every single leaf in the fall. I'd like to stick the waterfall in the middle but then thought, if I could put it on the right side of the pond where it's level and sandy, I might be able to concrete block in a bog, But the left side is the deeper side. It must be wine thirty already... lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I placed my waterfall based on the prevailing wind, it is up wind the skimmer is down wind, helps keep the surface of the pond clean.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pond is pretty much level. Lets see now, I would think if you put the waterfall in the shallower end it would send most of the gunk downhill to the deeper end so you could net it out easier. Poop rolls down hill ya know :LOL:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never seen poop roll... hahaha. I hope you're right jw, I don't want the waterfall on the deeper end and Addy1, don't even bring the wind factor into this, that's on the complete opposite side... *sigh :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
keep mosquito's away you can use mosquito dunks also but for 8 of them they are about 10 dollars here .I use cheap peroxide 88 cents a bottle at walmart to help keep them away and clean the water .It does not harm critters either .Adds oxygen to the water for a few minutes also .It does break down fast but will harm plants a little if you use to much .I use a little in my bird baths with salt also .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How much and how often Sissy? I am thinking I won't have skeeter issues as I have lots of frogs and dragonflies. + it has been my swamp for 2 years now with no skeeters but watch, I'll get it all cleaned out and pretty and then I'll have skeeter issues. Lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hee Hee, it was prolly even too dirty for the skeeters liking and yep when you get it all cleaned up they will come to breed. Just watch and see if the frogs etc. keep them gone. They can lay zillions of eggs. Now if you have a couple fish in there you wouldn't have to worry at all. But oh yes I know you don't want fish. I would die w/o fish :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Next come the unplanned fish eggs attached to the unplanned plant roots and voila.............unplanned fishy's :)

Ask a Question