No fish, no plants, just water.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That was my theory having children. Still at just the 1. Lol No it's truly my trepidation at building something that will need more attention than I am willing to give it. I can't start small since the hole is there but I am trying to "bare bones" it to start and add as I fall more and more in love with it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do the bare bones, then add or fill! Totally your choice. I do very little work on mine now that it is done. Groom lilies, clean once a year, netting the bottom of the pond. ow it runs itself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
OH NO Heaven forbid! Chlorine is bad for critters. Shame on him for telling you that. Snakes good too for garden bugs but might eat fish too and hope it is not poisonous.
Yes I have pond pix and I am considered kind of nutty at times by some but I am really just a shy, sweet angel........................ha,ha,ha yeah right :p
There's good nuts and bad nuts.... you're a good one ;) I'm nuts too thinking I can make my little ecosystem work. So far it's working without my help :)

Reaction score
I gave a good bit of info in the other thread. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to push you one way or the other but as a person who has upgraded ponds many times I will tell you this... It is much cheaper and much more simple to do it right the first time.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes dieselplower, you have, I am grateful. And I promise you can do the first "neiner neiner" when I'm back next year bitching about all the should have's. Lol. Trust me I have taken all of this information and tried to work with the resources I have and be realistic about what I can and cannot do/afford at this time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a cat and which is a fiest hunter and also neighbors cats too, they havnt able to get a guppy out of my pond ;) Or you can just add a few female betta fish in there (I have one in my nature pond where I dont have any pump, only standing water and plants) But since you pond is so large, you will be fine with a few fish, they will not be easy catch :).

I was thinking I would rely on all other critters for controlling the mosquitoes for my nature pond but one day when I saw 100000+ newly hatched little mosquitoes babies I freaked out and went and got a beta and the next day all were gone and I have not seen anymore. I even used the mosquitoes dunk, not helping, the dragon fly larvae, helped but cant compete with the overwhelm number of the larvae.

And my son's legs looks like the picture John posted, poor him :(

guppy/mosquito fish/betta, those will help with no maintenance from your part.

I know you dont want fish, but when you see the baby mosquitoes, do think about them ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My nature pond is only about 30 gallon ;) I dont have the picture right now. Maybe you should try searching a post by Figgy (I think that's her name), she has beautiful nature pond!!

One thing, when I started my nature pond my water got stinky real fast i had to use a pump to move water for a few weeks, then I removed the pump and the water's been crystal clear ever since, been a year now.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And pecan, your pond is amazing, all of the plants and flowers. What an amazing transformation! Now if I could just lift it from your house to mine. Lol

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
image.jpg image.jpg So I started digging yesterday and found more treasures than just rocks! I found Gold (rocks), Silver (rocks) and (a) pot and since you all have been so good to me, I wanted to offer you the opportunity to come dig for treasure with me, I mean what are friends for. I promise to split the loot 60/40.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish I was closer to you and I really would help ya. You could even keep all the loot..............well I might like to have one nice big rock

Ask a Question