No fish, no plants, just water.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I have this hole. I've considered a wide variety of options for fixing this and being completely new to the pond thing I had envisioned to start with just a liner, a waterfall or fountain feature and some algaecide. I've never owned goldfish nor am I particularly green-thumbed. I love the idea of eventually having a bog feature with a few goldfish, or having a water garden with plants. I can always add the plants and fish. And with the billboard tarp I'm using as a liner, I anticipate having to replace it while I still have my teeth, which means I can add the bog down the road if I choose. But to start, to put me in training wheels so to speak, can I just have water? Like a reflection pond that has a water feature that I can turn on when I'm outside? I'm sure I would have to run the fountain/waterfall everyday for some length of time to oxygenate the water but is this doable?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's doable but I think you will need at last some small fish to eat the mosquitoes larvae :) I think a few guppies will be happy in there.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have lots of dragonflies and frogs which I hope will keep that under control. And I have a cat, I mean I have a vicious predatory hunter, (at least that's how he sees himself) whom I'm afraid will very quickly learn to swim, I mean fish, I mean hunt.... Teeny tiny fishy bodies on my doorstep is the end result.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have lots of dragonflies and frogs which I hope will keep that under control.
crystal-ball.jpg

016-300x225.jpg

Mosquito-Bites-6.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
When I saw your first post and photo of your "backyard hole," I immediately remembered this picture--maybe you'll find some inspiration. I can't recall where I got it (maybe someone on this forum?); I started collecting dream pond pictures before I got a Pinterest account. Maybe you could build a small pond and use the rest to create flower beds--or something else--to fill in the space but make it easy for you to expand later if you choose.

I believe that if you have continuous running water, then you don't have to worry about mosquitoes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• image_zps0779c6fd[1].jpg
    image_zps0779c6fd[1].jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 291

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My what lovely legs you have Dr.Sir.... And yet I feel there's a message you're trying to convey.... Hehe. And Shan that's what I was hoping as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow at the bites! We have seen no mosquitoes with our pond, but fish, frogs, dragonflies, birds, toads all help keep them under control

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy! You have a pond like this? I've seen the big beautiful bog pond but didn't know you had a hole with just water. I'm just trying to consider all my I options for rebuilding and money is a huge factor at this point.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy! You have a pond like this? I've seen the big beautiful bog pond but didn't know you had a hole with just water. I'm just trying to consider all my I options for rebuilding and money is a huge factor at this point.

No I have everything that can live in a pond living there, the only thing I added was fish. And plants oh and water lol

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hahaha, sigh. I feel like a fish out of water wanting a pond with no fish or plants to start. Watch, in a year I'll be back with fish, bog, EPDM liner, filter, skimmer.... And I just got bit by a mosquito. (I think Dr.Sir sent it to mess with me).

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As a disclaimer, I'd like to add I taught diving in Hawaii for 12 years, I love fish and the ponds that I have seen on here. I'm not denying anyone's experience just my own abilities. Lol and thanks Addy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your water is moving mosquitoes cant lay eggs. They only lay eggs in still water.

I would suggest good turnover with your pumps to keep the water moving. Maybe some air stones to add oxygen and helps stir up the water where it is the stillest. You may want to add some good biological filtration to keep the algae at bay but all and all sounds like a good plan. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Air stones I use are simply the little air pumps and stones used for aquariums. I get them cheap at Walmart so if the weather does them in they are easily replaced. :) The bubbles will keep the water moving where it doesn't move much away from the waterfall or fountain.

Moving water is key to keeping the little blood suckers a bay.

My thoughts on UV filters are they are expensive, complicated and must be installed completely correct and replaced often to work so I have avoided them.

Nutrients and sun causes algae to grow. Cover it somehow so it is completely shaded helps a lot! And biological filtration eats up nutrients that other wise would feed algae.

Ask a Question