No more cable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Surprisingly, that has never been a real issue. The larger 'pirate' sites seem to do a good job of policing their sites and those sites that they link too.
If you use the internet very much, it is wise to have, not only an excellent anti-virus program on your computer, but also a very good anti-malware program anyway. Malware seems to be the bigger problem currently.
I have been frequenting these 'pirate' sites for almost 10 years and have only had few instances where Malware was detected and no virus detection in over 5 years. Since these sites rely on advertising dollars (many have the same advertisers as Network TV), it is in their own interest to keep their sites 'clean'.
Didnt look at it that way Meyer
We have the AGV security system on our PC and the same system on the Laptop.
It has an active malware and virus system built in and will actively let me know when to remove threats

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Didnt look at it that way Meyer
We have the AGV security system on our PC and the same system on the Laptop.
It has an active malware and virus system built in and will actively let me know when to remove threats

Dave
I also use AVG, but I found that the anti-malware feature was not the best so I added 'Malwarebytes' anti-malware. It is great. It completely blocks sites that contain malware.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@mgmine I dont think anyone is anti American on this site especially me , I just think folks who think one country is better than any other need a reality check.
Because lets face it weve all got to live on this planet so lets scrap all these guns Nuclear weapons etc and live in peace with one another whats hard about that in this day and age ?
I have seen and suffered enough violence in my life joined the Navy sailed in defence of my country
We know war and fighting disrupts peoples lives and displaces them like we are seeing in Europe now and for what huh so some prat can stay in power at the expence of his people ?
In the end we know the outcome but the price is just too much.

DAve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I also use AVG, but I found that the anti-malware feature was not the best so I added 'Malwarebytes' anti-malware. It is great. It completely blocks sites that contain malware.
Thanx for the heads up I'll get Jon our IT guy to search that out and add it to our system .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Are you folks that download pirated movies not concerned about anti Piracy legislation?
If the company that owns the copyright wants to pursue the matter, the fines could reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
(In Canada and tthe US, at least)

Paying $10/month to watch the same movies seems like a much wiser move.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Are you folks that download pirated movies not concerned about anti Piracy legislation?
If the company that owns the copyright wants to pursue the matter, the fines could reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
(In Canada and tthe US, at least)

This is true, but it seems a bit unrealistic to file copyright infringement suits against million, yes millions, of IP addresses for IP addresses are all that they would have, no individual names. This is why they pursue the hosting sites when and where they can. Even here there lies a problem. These hosting sites only provide links, which is NOT illegal. The source sites are in China, Russia, the Balkan states, even India which are all difficult to pursue prosecution.
Interestingly, I have seen the same companies advertising on these 'pirate' host sites that advertise on network tv. Are they liable for enabling the existence of these sites?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think authorities find it easier to go after the IP address that downloaded the movie, in their own country.
That's the way the laws are written, I believe.
Here in Canada, I remember reading about authorities focusing on the IP addresses that were responsible for downloading the highest numbers of movies.

I tried downloading a movie once from a torrent site, and my better judgement told me to cancel the activity. The process seemed to leave my computer open to too many vunerabilities. This was many years ago. Maybe the process has improved, but I'm happy with what I have, so I'm not looking any further anyways.

Reaction score
@mgmine I dont think anyone is anti American on this site especially me , I just think folks who think one country is better than any other need a reality check.
Because lets face it weve all got to live on this planet so lets scrap all these guns Nuclear weapons etc and live in peace with one another whats hard about that in this day and age ?
I have seen and suffered enough violence in my life joined the Navy sailed in defence of my country
We know war and fighting disrupts peoples lives and displaces them like we are seeing in Europe now and for what huh so some prat can stay in power at the expence of his people ?
In the end we know the outcome but the price is just too much.

DAve
No I'm not saying they are I was simply referring to the thread that was talking about alternatives to cable TV so started a thread specifically for the topic.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The things you learn on a pond forum!!! I have only one question; WHEN THE H_E_DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS DOES @sissy FIND TIME TO WATCH TV????? :confused:
John

Ask a Question