No more cable

Reaction score
I see that the anti American thread started talking about cable TV so I'll throw my 2 cents in. Like so many others I got sick of paying for cable so three years ago I cut the cord and got a Roku box. The box is simple to install (I chose to wire mine in with a instead of using the Wi Fi feature) I also subscribed to Netflix but even that isn't necessary since there are many many free movie channels and hundreds of other free stations. But like cable most of those stations aren't worth watching...but hey they're free! If you really want your cable stations then for $20 a month you can get an app that will give you many of the popular cable stations. Roku has three different models the most expensive one ($99.00 dollars) is the best but that is always going on sale for $10 dollars off if you buy from their web site. I would never go back to cable or satellite TV.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
For the most part, I'm looking for programs that don't insult my intelligence.:)
We used to have satellite tv, but it was really annoying having to click past 40 stations of Punjab, Italian, Spanish, French, radio, sports, local news stations from different parts of the country, ect.
Even if the supplier allowed me to delete those stations from our lineup it wouldn't have been so bad, but then there were also the stupid commercials on top of paying $100/month.
It wasn't a difficult decision to stop subscribing to the service.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think there are many many people who are making the same choice. We were paying close to $100 a month for cable TV when we said "enough!" We only have the channels that they added to the package with our internet - the internet was cheaper in the bundle with a basic cable than it was without. We have an AppleTV that we use for most of our TV viewing. Cable companies better adjust or they will find themselves out of business.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had dish ,I had direct and hated them both and now have cable and for 59 dollars a month for it, I do not look back .I have 6 tv's and all my local channels .If I take out HBO and showtime I would pay about 39 dollars a month .Direct tv was 119 a month and dish was 127 a month .I have a local cable company called chatmoss and they put in fiber optic lines .My one sister has comcast but it it is also for puters and tv and puters are 187 dollars and she was telling me the other day that there service stinks .I have century link for my puter and it is 14.99 a month with home phone service and it comes out to be just over 52 dollars a month .We have limited access to internet here and this is reliable and cheap .Chatmoss is more expensive for internet and not as reliable .I think they charge 39 dollars a month .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
The Roku 3 is amazing! Cut cable TV service and made a ONE time investment into three Roku 3 boxes. You can get by with no other services but we do Netflix n Hulu. Tons of streaming channels avail. My favorite feature is the remote has a headphone jack built into it so the wife can watch her slasher flics as loud as she want's:eek:(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks Peter. We're starting to run out of interesting things to watch on Netflix. They don't add new stuff as much as we would like.
Canadian Netflix is more restrictive than US Netflix. Copyright issues and all.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Yea, my wife loves Netflix, but I'm a Hulu guy. I watch a ton of YouTube thru that box also. The cable co. took away the only thing I cared to watch.. MotoGP racing, but I can see most of it the next day on Youtube. You can pair your devices so if you're browsing YT on your tablet you can watch it thru your TV.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You can always watch the 'pirate sites' on the internet. Better selection than Netflix, Hulu or any others including cable.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have comcast internet, only choice, cell phone service no matter what carrier, almost zero, dead zone. DTV which we like since we take a portable dish with us and a box, have tv everywhere we travel.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had direct and dish until I begged chatmoss to run the lines down our street .It is a family owned company .They have there office not far from my house but kept saying there were not enough houses on my road

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I totally agree with hat statement Mitch its not worth the risk of downloading a virus via pirated sites

Dave

Surprisingly, that has never been a real issue. The larger 'pirate' sites seem to do a good job of policing their sites and those sites that they link too.
If you use the internet very much, it is wise to have, not only an excellent anti-virus program on your computer, but also a very good anti-malware program anyway. Malware seems to be the bigger problem currently.
I have been frequenting these 'pirate' sites for almost 10 years and have only had few instances where Malware was detected and no virus detection in over 5 years. Since these sites rely on advertising dollars (many have the same advertisers as Network TV), it is in their own interest to keep their sites 'clean'.

Ask a Question