Not sure if I'm doing this right....Ledges

Reaction score
A breeder would not want to run a skimmer or the babies would be sucked up. understood.
i'm working on rebuilding an area of earth removed to reposition pond. Any ideas?

Reaction score
LOL, I wouldn't have a pond without a skimmer. Call me lazy I guess. Not to say that I never have to dump a fish back in the pond from the basket but still far less work than removing debris by hand.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Eggs are harvested from the pond and placed elsewhere. That said, skimmers are for pools...
They make skimmer nets and there are buckets, I use both.
A waterfall with a biofilter in the body of it with the overflow returning to the pond is the best possible scenario. I use submersible pumps and each has a specific purpose. I also have backups which can be put into service within minutes of a failure.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have no experience with skimmers or bottom drains, so i cant make an educated statement on them. but i cant see any reason to cut holes in my liner for things that may be convenient but certainly not neccessary, i maintain a pond that by most peoples standards is way over stocked. my water parameters are always ideal, its mid july and i have no alge to speak of in my pond(even the string alge is already gone).. under the shade of my lillies in the center of my pond i can still see the print on the liner. and i am in full sun 10+ hours a day. i have one 70 gallon skippy filter,one 1200 gallon per hour pump drawing from two barrel style prefilters. i walk out to the pond every morning with my coffee anyways, so if theres a few leaves or whatnot in the pond. the minute or 2 it might take to get them out is not too much trouble. i think aside of other reasons, that skimmers and bottom drains are just 2 more possible leaks waiting to happen. i could be wrong. but what im doing works and works real well, out side of occasionally skimming by hand. my maintainence consists of dropping the hose in every few days and turning it on for 10 minutes. i will say i use a u.v sterilizer,BUT i let my pond go green early in seaon purposely,turn the u.v on,it usually takes 3 or 4 days to clear the water..when the water clears i run it for a few extra days. for about a week or so total runtime. disconnect it clean it and put it away. i find this to be SIMPLICITY AT ITS BEST!!

Reaction score
Dr. Dave,
from where does your pump pull? aren't you afraid your pump might serve as a koi sausage maker? if you pull from near the top and you've a screen, that is a skimmer

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Eggs are harvested from the pond and placed elsewhere. That said, skimmers are for pools...
They make skimmer nets and there are buckets, I use both.
A waterfall with a biofilter in the body of it with the overflow returning to the pond is the best possible scenario. I use submersible pumps and each has a specific purpose. I also have backups which can be put into service within minutes of a failure.
Here in Georgia you would spend all day trying to get the leaves out by hand in the fall. Plus in the spring all the tulip poplars and flowering trees drop there buds. I have never had my skimmer kill a fish. I'm sure if I were breeding I might would feel different. Guess it depends on your situation. Same with installing a shelf. I am into ponding more for the plants so the shelves make sense to me. I also dont have a problem with debris on them, probably because of the skimmer :icon_smile:.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
myself... if i had a skimmer.. it wouldnt do me any good any ways i have close to 80% coverage with lillies, plus the hiacynths. any leaves that it sucked in would have to land right in front of it! a pond net takes care of the fall leaves. when they start falling my fish go to the basement pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good point! A healthy pond has floating plants. Skimmers would eat them all day.

As for the fish grinder, I don't think 20 24" koi will have any trouble with the 1/8" openings in submersible pumps.

The bottom line is, if it makes you happy, why should we care? After all we are only here to help you.

Ask a Question