OK here we go. Pond started

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice and hot here in MD today. Worked all day and feel like I accomplished something. Got the weir from koiguy and can't wait to get it on tomorrow. Can't get the bottom drain to flow as well as it should to keep up with the pump. Will start the water fall tomorrow with stock tank. Will be building sand and gravel filter but maybe next week. I really need to get this up and running. Got tired of walking around the pond all day long and built a bridge this morning before starting pond work, much easier. We have so much dirt to move it makes me weary!!:frown:

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 286

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you listen very closely you will hear the sound of water coming out of the stock tank down the stream and falling into the pond!!!

Now tell me if you think I must have been a rocket scientist before I was a ditch digger... For boi media I have lots of ppl26 liner left over and don't see why I can't cut it in strips and use it for media. It looks identical to the strapping people are using in their stock tanks. I took a large scrap and started cutting like a square corkscrew. I have way more time than money and cutting was a breeze. The scissors sliced through just by pushing them. No open-close, open-close til blisters come. Of course the strips aren't uniform or pretty but???? Anyway here is the pic of the stream, blurry but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 279

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hear it I hear it LOL nice water fall btw

Love the ppl liner, I used ppl36 for this pond.
You will find that with the texture of it, it will not be as slippery as the epdm if you need to walk in the pond. I don't slip at all in mine, I go in every 4 days or so to groom the lilies.

That will make good bio material.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's going to look really nice after adding the rocks..............and yes I think I can hear the water rushing down the stream
1sm424stonehopper.gif

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is getting better. Got a great weir from Koiguy and love it :lol: Will be putting in S&G filters this weekend maybe. It is hot as blazes and supposed to be 101 with 30% humidity. :regular_waving_emot I think we may need a few larger rocks and some river rock for the water fall and of course plants. My lilies are poking through the surface so that is good. Just keeping at it!!

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 195

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd be in that pond swimming if it was that hot here............cloudy water or not. It's looking good and coming along nicely :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stay out of the heat Deede, we hit "only" 94 with index of 108 yesterday, gonna be worse today, they are saying 101 with index of 110 to 115...........be careful, I am under house arrest lol, just can't handle heat. After living in phoenix for years this heat is horrible, you can't breath. But then again I couldn't handle the heat in phoenix either.

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks addy. Have lots of indoor chores to do :) Finally I can see the bottom of the pond. I am heading to walmart to check out some fish. Am keeping watch on Craig's list for free pond plants. Missed a couple for water lettuce.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
drive out here, will give you hyacinth, some penny wort, 4 leaf clover and misc other stuff

I even have a few water lettuce that is sort of growing you can have some of that too

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Look how happy my new plants are!! :yellowbounce:Thanks to Addy1. :cool: I heard them purring when I got them all corralled and pulled together. Got a few goldies and Shubunkins (sp) this afternoon but the rain made the water all cloudy so we can't see them. The dogs followed them around the edge when they first got released. Thanks again Chris, we really enjoyed meeting you and your sweetie Sunday :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 211

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they do look happy, give them some time and you will have more, they will make babies! they are growing well in this heat

Ask a Question