Ok need some QUICK EMERGENCY HELP!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is no perfect energy source. No utopia. Every source of power has a downside and, if relied on 100% would lead to massive problems down the road. The only sane answer is a mixture of sources. And that is something we will have to monitor and debate for eternity because the world changes, resources shift and things that worked yesterday don't always work today.

Coal is easy and cheap to mine but does massive environmental damage and is dirty as hell to burn even when you scrub it. Gas is plentiful in pockets around the country, but extracting it creates earthquakes and makes drinking water flammable. Nuclear can produce massive energy but also comes with massive risk to life when it breaks and can be used to develop hugely destructive weapons programs. Hydro is practically free over the long-term but seriously messes up aquatic life. Solar + batteries can create energy independence/security like no other source and reduce grid demand, but even its theoretical max efficiency can't power us alone and it's ability to be recycled is not good.

There is no one answer. We should use all our available resources in a mix that makes sense for where they are being used and pay attention to what effect that mix has on our environment and make shifts when we see undesirable outcomes.

What we definitely shouldn't do is wave our hands at new technology just because it isn't good enough and assume that the solution is to just keep doing things the way we always have and hope something we don't control will change so that we don't have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I only saw a small clip on the news about gas stoves, so I probably don't know the whole story. I thought the issue was more about proper ventilation, or rather lack of it, creating problems.

It caught my interest as we need to replace our range this year and were thinking about gas, but were worried about ventilation as we only have a microwave and it's fan, over the range.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I only saw a small clip on the news about gas stoves, so I probably don't know the whole story. I thought the issue was more about proper ventilation, or rather lack of it, creating problems.

It caught my interest as we need to replace our range this year and were thinking about gas, but were worried about ventilation as we only have a microwave and it's fan, over the range.
Suddenly natural gas is dangerous… just when they want to force us all to electric. Makes you wonder who stands to profit… follow the money.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It caught my interest as we need to replace our range this year and were thinking about gas,
I have a induction range, which I love. It heats up fast, turn it off, the cooking stops. The glass is still warm.

It is my first range that has real accurate oven heat.

I can get a large pot boiling in around 4 to 5 minutes. Something I did a lot making 2 1 sugar water for the bees.

We use propane for instant on hot water and ventless house heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a induction range, which I love. It heats up fast, turn it off, the cooking stops. The glass is still warm.

It is my first range that has real accurate oven heat.

I can get a large pot boiling in around 4 to 5 minutes. Something I did a lot making 2 1 sugar water for the bees.

We use propane for instant on hot water and ventless house heat.
Do you need special pans to use an induction range? On the piece I saw on the news they discussed induction .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Next thing they will want us all to have windmills in our back yards to provide the electricity for the stoves etc. They are an eye sore and they now have them on some beaches in the water where they are messing w/the whales.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you need special pans to use an induction range? On the piece I saw on the news they discussed induction .
Just a good metal bottom,stainless, non stick, etc. Most pans, decent pans, are good for induction

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coal is easy and cheap to mine
I have had worked through a coal mine in West Virginia, Coal mining is a heck of a lot more work than say logging. The amount of over Burdon they have to move is incredible.
And if they go mining down in the earth those boys earn their money . I've seen the tunnels from years back, that became exposed as they blasted. These were maybe 4 feet tall and about 12 feet wide. They left four foot wide column between the tunnels as they ran perpendicular to each other , That hold up millions of tons of rock above. No thank you. The mortgage companies make you take out mine insurance just incase your home drops into the earth.
20190610_182256-1920x1080-2-Pano.jpg
20190624_162443-Pano-1920x735-2.jpg
SAJ_4970-1920x917.jpg
20190904_143021-Pano-1920x614.jpg

the idiots of NY are pushing for no gas anything in new construction in 2024. I have seen too many times where a baker or a seamstress run a construction board that is clearly not the field of expertise making decisions in areas they just don't know but try. That's what we see today everywhere Trying to shut down oil and now gas in a matter of 2 years is suicided for us all. While many communities have already banned wood burning furnaces. Whats left ? electric? that's funny are grid could never support it. But I will never run shy of work
Gas cooking stoves have been around for many years in many homes and restaurants . not once have I heard of an issue. if you have a very small enclosed kitchen it could become a problem but even then . never heard of such an animal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just a good metal bottom,stainless, non stick, etc. Most pans, decent pans, are good for induction
They are a pain to keep clean that's for sure. special cleaners but they cook fine. but very dangerous as they cool . that no one touches the top

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are a pain to keep clean that's for sure. special cleaners but they cook fine. but very dangerous as they cool . that no one touches the top

I think you’re thinking of traditional electric glass cooktop. Those are horrible. I’ve had several and now we have an induction. Totally different.

It performs just like gas. Turn it on, almost instantly hot. Turn it off, almost instantly cool. And because of the way the magnets work, only the space directly under the pan gets hot, even if it’s smaller than the burner surface. That also means food that spills on it doesn’t get fried to the glass, so it’s very easy to clean.

Absolutely love it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NOPE im talking the Samsung induction cook top

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
NOPE im talking the Samsung induction cook top

Ah, ok. I’ve had a gas cooktop, electric glass too, and induction. Electric was the worst for cleaning, and seemed like gas was not far ahead due to the grates and burners. The induction is a dream to keep tidy compared to both others I had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@GBBUDD the news clip I watched the other morning, showed a steaming hot pan of boiling water. They removed the pot and turned the burner off and the news man put his hand directly on where the pot had been heated. I thought this meant that induction cooled and might be a safer option for our little granddaughter?

We have a glass top stove and it sure gets messy, just water on it is a pain to clean.

@addy1 I love to cook in my dutch ovens and cast iron.....would those work with an induction range?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 I love to cook in my dutch ovens and cast iron.....would those work with an induction range?
Yes they will. The top is glass you would not want the cast iron to be rough.

I have had mine since 2015. The top is still new looking. I use stainless and stick free pans.

Never have any stuck gooey messes.

Ask a Question