omg! Tadpoles galore!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m new to the forum, been a pond owner for 3rd season, a lot to learn!!! This year I have become a grandmother to hundreds and hundreds of tadpoles. I turned off my pump a week ago because I didn’t want any of them to die!! ‍♀️ Well, I don’t think I should have turned it off, Water is getting nasty and I still have every single tadpole. Should I turn the pump back on, I really don’t want to kill nature! Please help!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-23_17-8-54.gif
@Dianna Ewald are you afraid the pump will suck them up? If so can you put your pump inside a screened bag for awhile? That way the water will still circulate and not suck them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Or you can make them yourself out of fiberglass screen door material from Lowes or H-depot. Just sew up a bag using heavy fishing line.
Good idea! I've been looking for a mesh bag to cut down on the maintenance of picking debris out of the holes in my pump. When looking at mesh bags, I worry about overall size of the bag and size of the holes. I have some left over pet resistant screening that I will make a custom bag from. Thanks for the great idea! P.S. I don't mean to hijack this post, just thought you had a great idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I just put in a new bigger pump and to my horror I realized the tadpoles were being sucked in. I took fiberglass screen and used a zip tie to wrap it around a pond pot with my pump inside. But it's getting clogged to quick. I tried one of the pump bags from amazon, but the holes are too big, and tadpoles again got through. However I do have a bunch of froglets, so its worth it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi, if every tadpole I had grew to be a frog the entire world would be overrun with frogs! The reason frogs lay so many eggs is because so few survive, natural selection.

Ask a Question