j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey everyone - my name is West and I am new here! I am looking to build a duck pond with a large bog filter just like @nimrod described.

Any recent updates on the build @nimrod?
ducky's.gif
@west
Talk w/people here who have one.

Reaction score
Hello, I am not super active here, so I rarely see any mentions. But I can definitely confirm that my pond with bog filter is chugging along just fine.

I ended up with a pond in the shape of a circle, 16ft diameter. Aproximately 40% of the surface of this circle is bog. 2 feet deep, 2" PVC manifold. 4-6" rocks on the bottom, graded up to pea gravel on top.

Calculated size: 1600gal

pump: 3000gph

Ducks: 5 domestic, and several more wild.

Some notes: The pond water stays perfectly clear, but the duck shit solids settle on the bottom, so if you disturb the water on the bottom, it clouds up. This has lead me to put the pump in a small cell off to the side made of cinder blocks. it keep the birds from shitting directly on top of the pump.

It's been rocking for 2 years now, and it's pretty fun. Ducks eat any plants I try to plant in the pond proper, so I am stuck with whatever grasses/reeds/rushes the ducks don't munch on in the bog. Oh well.

Ask a Question