JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been thinking about adding a different type of goldfish to my pond, likely a Red Cap Oranda. Would it be fine with my Shubunkins & Comets? I just want to make sure it would be ok if I added it since I don't know much about that type. Are all types of goldfish safe for ponds and safe around eachother?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I mix fantails and telescopes with single tail goldfish but these fish have been together for years in large ponds.

Goldfish of the same type tend to school together. If I were going to do this I would introduce 3 or more orandas, or other fancy double tails, rather then a lone individual..

General wisdom is not to mix goldfish that have different agility levels. Like single and double tail, telescope and any non telescope. Many times you can ignore the rule and be OK. But if you have just one bully of the agile type it can mean the death of the less agile if you do not catch it. Also during spawning a less agile female can be harmed.

Ask a Question