MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The farmer I bought them from had 175 of them. He said they were 22 weeks, and some had started laying. I haven't seen an egg, yet. I image the shock of being boxed up and transported to a new coop/run with strange chickens might affect their laying for a bit, too.

This morning I saw one on the other side of the run. Now, my chickens (heritage) seldom fly up, and even when they do, it's just a couple of feet. This one hen flew up over the fence I had in the middle of the run and decided to explore the main coop. Next thing I know, another one did the same. So, I figured, ah what the heck, and just removed the gate between the 2 sides of the run. (Besides, we are expecting bitterly cold temps the next two nights, and the main coop offers better protection from the elements.) My "big mama" chicken though is letting these new ones know who's the boss. No battles (yet)...just a lot of pecking.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hubby wanted to have chickens then I reminded him that means staying home to feed water clean...............he changed his mind.

Nice looking ones you have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We just decided we are going to get some chickens and ducks. I just ordered 8 duck eggs (Ancona duck) to hatch. We will be getting chicken (not chick) so we dont have to wait 4-5 months for the egg.
It's going to be hard to travel now.. I think i'll just have to hire someone to come take care of them when we are away.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We just decided we are going to get some chickens and ducks. I just ordered 8 duck eggs (Ancona duck) to hatch. We will be getting chicken (not chick) so we dont have to wait 4-5 months for the egg.
It's going to be hard to travel now.. I think i'll just have to hire someone to come take care of them when we are away.

You're going to love them, @Nepen.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Those are some good size girls already. Any of them laying yet?
I had a few black sex link, they were good layers, only have 1 left from the raccoon feasts.

I cleaned the main coop today, replacing the Sweet PDZ and all the wood shavings....what a job! As far as the new hens laying.....I was rewarded with 8 beautiful brown eggs...so, they are laying full steam!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After watching youtube videos in search of the most docile chicken breeds all weekend, I narrowed it down to these:
Buff Orpington, Australorp, Coachins and Silkies
Any of you familiar with these?

I'm aware of the fact that Silkies are much smaller, but since I only want gentle breeds and I'm not getting a roaster, I thought they'd be ok mixed in with larger hens (?)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As far as the new hens laying.....I was rewarded with 8 beautiful brown eggs...so, they are laying full steam!
That's awesome!
Hubby's building me a coop as soon as the weather warms up a bit, I can't wait!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After watching youtube videos in search of the most docile chicken breeds all weekend, I narrowed it down to these:
Buff Orpington, Australorp, Coachins and Silkies
Any of you familiar with these?

I'm aware of the fact that Silkies are much smaller, but since I only want gentle breeds and I'm not getting a roaster, I thought they'd be ok mixed in with larger hens (?)

I have never had any of those breeds, but after only having heritage breeds, I can't believe how docile the Red Sex Link Hens I bought the other day are. They have no problem with me coming right up to them and picking them up or stroking them.

Now, if you are going to buy chicks, a lot has to do with your interaction with them from the start. The more you can be with them, talk to them, and hold them....the more "friendly" and docile they will be with you as they mature.

There is something to be said for "docile breeds", but there is also much to be said about a chick's early impressions of you and how you treat them. Often, what you read on the internet is not fact, but opinion....and has to do with early impressions on the chicks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree @MoonShadows, there sure is a lot of contradictions on the internet and everyone wants to be right.

I'm already starting to change my mind about the Silkies, I didn't know they need periodic haircuts to remove the feathers around the eyes, otherwise they can't see....as beautiful as they may seem, I'm afraid they're too high maintenance for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
About wyandottes, anyone know the breed?

Reaction score
Cochins and silkies are both bantam varieties so smaller.
I have had many various breeds, I still think the Buff Orps are the most laid back ones I've ever had.
Austrolorps are not bad either along with golden comets.
I had silver laced wyandots, decent layers, but I wasn't impressed with them overall. They were just chickens in the hen house.

I agree with MS about chick-people interaction. I normally get chicks a day old, I try to handle them a lot and be around in the first few weeks, "first impression". As they get older, they will be more "docile" and even interact with you. I just picked up some chicks a few weeks ago, they were already 2 weeks old, they freak out when I come downstairs and it takes them a couple mins to settle down, I didn't have the first 2 weeks interaction with them.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I have had them. On the docile side, good egg layers....funny though, I agree with Tahoe....they were just there...nothing to write home about.

Ask a Question