Our Non-Human Animal Friends

Reaction score
Had some rabbit kits born on Sunday, already getting peach fuzz fur.
20170516_175409.jpg 20170516_175421.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just had to go to the hospital because of one of these, 3" into my foot....
Ouch! I have a lot of black locust, their thorns are a lot smaller and not on leaves.
They named that tree the honey locust, but it does not give the bees good nectar. The black locust we get wonderful nectar from which they make fantastic honey out of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, I learn a new thing everyday!!

I have this tree with long thorn above my chicken coop and I couldnt figure out what it was. I think it's locust tree!!! Dont know if it's black or honey locust but I'm glad I know now! The tree's been down but it didnt die, the branches got big and turn into several trees.

man... I moved into a land with wisteria infestation, black walnut farm (so I couldn't plant other thing near them!), and thorny trees... what did the previous owner do with this land!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a pear tree that went wild and got thorns on it .I left it since it was healthy and just trimmed it up so I don't get near the thorns

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
wow, I learn a new thing everyday!!

I have this tree with long thorn above my chicken coop and I couldnt figure out what it was. I think it's locust tree!!! Dont know if it's black or honey locust but I'm glad I know now! The tree's been down but it didnt die, the branches got big and turn into several trees.

man... I moved into a land with wisteria infestation, black walnut farm (so I couldn't plant other thing near them!), and thorny trees... what did the previous owner do with this land!!!
Yea that's a honeylocust :eek:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Nepen here is my nesting box, idk if you made yours already. Built in ones imo are the best.
It hasn't been used yet as the chickens (I don't think, ill have to check...) aren't even 9 weeks old...
the big box that is angled is the feeder, we haven't used it before but im sure we will eventually... We generally feed them outside and since they are free range like 50 or 75 percent of their diet is grass & bugs.
24yn1j5.jpg
2wrg7iv.jpg
2ptqydc.jpg

2wbw2ux.jpg

33my9fs.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
33my9fs.jpg
@Nepen here is my nesting box, idk if you made yours already. Built in ones imo are the best.
24yn1j5.jpg
2wrg7iv.jpg
2ptqydc.jpg

ANCONA! You also have ANCONA! I love them, my Ancona ducks.

These are mine, happily eating yummy duckweed I bought for them... they ate all in only a few hours!!! in the pond I built for them.
IMG_8673.JPG

IMG_8674.JPG

One of them has the wings feather poked out... I dont think it's angel wing, is it?...

I hatched 2 of them and for 3 from the hatchery. They are only about less than 2 months old but looks almost full grown!

I just put a basket with hay in it on the ground but my chicken found/made nesting place where they wanted lol.

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Anconas, are officially a few months old old :) My past with farm animals is LOOOONG and I mean past in a bad way as we suffered from an arson fire in West Virginia (hell hole) The other ducks in the back there behind the fence are my long strain ones. From west Virginia! all the way to north Carolina, then to here. That time period of about 1 year (maybe at the most, we moved often then due to the fire) Long story short:
ducks.
Could you take pics of their pond? I would love to see the whole thing so I can make an exact replica for them LOL
Idk maybe I can ;) well have to see... I wish mine had a big ol' pond but would they turn it into a mudhole? how do you keep it clean? I need to know these specs... !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@DutchMuch I dont have a good picture of it but here goes.

I have wisteria infestation and every inches of my land are cover with wisteria roots and also hard red clay so digging without a machine is out of the question.

The pond is 8x5x2 feet. I constrcted using 2x4 with lots of bracing especially at the corner. I also have 2x4 laying flat at the base as the 1st bracing against bowing at the base. Then you can kinda see how I build it up. The pond is pretty solid and is holding up pretty well.

My bog filter is not done, but here's the plan. I'll section off small part of the pond (it'll be 5x2x2) with liner back with concrete blocks, motor them together (I made a mistake of not motor them together and the water pressure pushed my concrete block down) and use waterfall foam to seal all the holes around it then fill that section with gravels. I have a pump that will pump the water from the main pond to this bog section which will act as both mechanical and biological filter. I'll plant lots of plant to help with filtering the water and will have to cover the area with chicken wire or my duck will eat all the plants :). The water will then fall back to the pond. I think this will help me not having to change water every few weeks.

My drain is at the bog section so when I drain the water, poop water will get drain out more.

I have 1 drain (I should have 2!!) using the pipe boot method (cut hole about 1 inch smaller than the pipe, the push the pipe through, then fasten it with clamp)

IMG_8624.JPG

IMG_8636.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

Right now I only have the pond running (without filter what so ever, only pump running) for a week and I have to have my face on the water to smell it. So I think I can go on for 2 weeks before I have to drain and fill the pond up again. Then once the filter is established (cycled) I think/hope it can go on at least 2 months or more.

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for taking your time to post that! You had quite the adventure doing that lol! Im glad you & the ducks enjoy it, ill definitely have to make something similar now one day, as right now we just have like a 1/2 ft deep black tub (3 ft wide) from the tractor supply store for them to dunk in every once in a while (its filled all the time though).
*writes down on bukkit list*
lol
Thank you again :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for taking your time to post that! You had quite the adventure doing that lol! Im glad you & the ducks enjoy it, ill definitely have to make something similar now one day, as right now we just have like a 1/2 ft deep black tub (3 ft wide) from the tractor supply store for them to dunk in every once in a while (its filled all the time though).
*writes down on bukkit list*
lol
Thank you again :)
I couldn't believe I got that done lol. I only had an hour each day after work and make dinner and a few hours on weekend to finish it. And many many trips to Home Depot. I enjoy doing these things myself. At least my husband let me borrow his drill and truck ;)

Ask a Question