7a
I got Lilly pads on the surface today, My koi are going crazy
With this on and off again spring i just started feeding last week
Monday my water was 63 today its 74
They are climbing on the rocks to see me every time i open the back door

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The ones in the green house are up, there is even a tropical blooming.

I hope the hardies in the pond hold off for a while so I can clean the pond without fighting the leaves.

There are leaves but they are that red like color instead of green.

Reaction score
My water temp was 63 yesterday - I don't have any pads coming up yet. Hubs and I thought we would deal with the waterlilies this weekend. I don't think the water temps will stay in the 60's, our temps are going down into the 50's during the day and there were some nights in the 30's. Brrrr...

Reaction score
Happy fishies!

I was cleaning an area of the pond that I call a mini bog .. it was just some extra liner, not cut off, it's only about 6" deep (has gravel, but at the fishy edge, maybe an inch of water) and the fish were exposing the top half to 3/4 of their bodies to come see me, and whatever I was disturbing. I gave in and fed them for the first time yesterday afternoon (water temp was 62), but didnt feed them today ... went out there this morning to take pics of a plant, and I swear they were shouting they were gonna report me to animal control for not feeding them ... maybe they can have a bit tomorrow ... MAYBE

I can see lilies coming out of the pots, but the pads are still curled and well below the surface of the water... not too much longer ...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Two days ago was nice and sunny, but the pond was still only 45C. It'll be mid-May before I can feed my fish.
John

Reaction score
I wasnt a good enough sneak this morning to get outside without being spotted ... this is the little bog area I was talking about ... as I was looking out the window at the pond, saw they were at the basket eating the hair algae ... the tiny Matsuba directly in front of the basket may be about 8" now ... she was at the left side of the basket with more then half her body out of the water ... I was getting worried she would go up too far and get stuck in too shallow water ... hubby cleaned the filter media (pillow stuffing) before heading to work, but when he gets home tonight, the basket will be relocated ... This Matsuba girl is one of our smallest fish (aside from comet babies that rode the waterfall down to KoiVille) and worried that a bigger fish could end up in trouble ... yup, gonna be a nervous mom today til hubby gets home and moves it.

DSCN6136_zps090132c9.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks Howard:) I think once the pond warms a bit more (down to 60F this morning), I am going to steal a few buckets of gravel from the bog to fill this area up more. The other day and this morning were the first times they have gone up there. My goal is to have that area full of water celery/water parsley (whichever the correct name is). I'll feel awful if someone gets in trouble there. I talked hubby into not cutting off the extra liner there so I could plant there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some pads still alive from before winter started that are at the surface. We had a very mild winter this year. Now I see more new ones coming up too, YAY! Hoping I get tons of blooms this year from all the different varieties I got from addy last year. I need to give them some good food to get them going.

Reaction score
Today was cold and we have some cold nights ahead, so I am thinking it is going to be at least until next week before the lily pads hit the water surface.

Capewind - We put in the Water celery and it is quite invasive. The plant has jumped bogs into all but one of my bogs as well as it is trying to take over my herb bed that is on the other side of the larger bog.

Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
Capewind - We put in the Water celery and it is quite invasive. The plant has jumped bogs into all but one of my bogs as well as it is trying to take over my herb bed that is on the other side of the larger bog.
It may be a negative for you, but i would be thrilled if it wanted to misbehave here LOL... The end where I am trying to get it going, it can jump over the rocks and creep down the whole hill ...

Ask a Question