Perplexing Problem with Bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can only assume that since the ants get sucked into a vac that occasionally a shot of something terminal gets sucked in too. I don't believe the suction alone would kill those beasties, because as soon as the vac is shut off they're going to crawl back out the hose. Relocating a mad bag of fire ants wouldn't appeal to me.
When I lived in SC we had them. I was mowing the yard and all of a sudden started feeling the bites on my legs. The only time in my life I deliberately dropped my jeans in public on the front lawn! Poisoning the mound killed a host of soldiers, but the main colony just moved underground to a new location. Killing the ones sucked into the vac will be important as well as getting into the nest proper and getting the queen to totally wipe out the colony. If you don't get the entire nest, you may at least get them to move to where you could effectively poison them in the ground.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Timothy I had my can of Raid [or whatever brand it was] of hi-powered ant killer and once those demons were sucked up [and where the spray wasn't endangering the turtle habitat] they got zapped. I wasn't taking any chances and didn't want any of them traveling back up the Shop Vac hose, either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
UPDATE:

Used the shop vac to suck up the ants. Worked out great. Found out that the pile was more extensive then I thought and actually ran all the way from the base of the retaining wall up 2 1/2 feet and out to the edge of the bog. After removing the ants I got some Raid ant and roach killer and sprayed down the brick and then dowsed the lower end of the ant colony with ant killer. So far I don't see any signs of them returning but we shall see. Thanks again for all the suggestions here.

Ask a Question