Pesty tadpoles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone:
I recently had a 8x10 freshwater pond installed, have placed about 11 small gold fish in there. Appears to have a leak near filter so I have been trying to see how low the water table will go so pond guys can try to seal the liner.
My question is about tadpoles, I have tons of them I have been just scooping then out best as I can, and am considering a predator fish any recommendations?. Goldies are still very small.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1596324998764.gif
@margojam
I wish frogs would lay eggs in my pond and hatch but I think my fish would just eat them all up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Yes, why are you wanting to get rid of the tadpoles?
I don't feel like my pond size is big enough, 8x10, It will definetly get over run with frogs eventually,, I new egg larvae almost every day. I have been scooping them out. right now I am trying to see where the water table stops because there is a leak by the filter and that needs to get fixed. I do have a nice waterfall for cicrulation.I Would just like to find a small predator fish who can keep them at bay. Definitely a learning curve for me..

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't feel like my pond size is big enough, 8x10, It will definetly get over run with frogs eventually,, I new egg larvae almost every day. I have been scooping them out. right now I am trying to see where the water table stops because there is a leak by the filter and that needs to get fixed. I do have a nice waterfall for cicrulation.I Would just like to find a small predator fish who can keep them at bay. Definitely a learning curve for me..
All the tadpoles that develop into frogs won’t stay at the pond. Matter of fact most won’t, Bunch of the tadpoles could be from toads as well, in which case they definitely won’t stay in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@margojam Even though your pond is on the smaller side, I really don't think you need to be worried about being overrun by frogs or toads. Many of the tadpoles won't make it to maturity. Those that do will be competing for the same resources & some will move on (terrestrial frogs & toads will move on in any case) Others will become a meal for larger predators. Amphibians are a sign of a healthy ecosystem - enjoy them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Many amphibian populations are legally protected because they are considered vulnerable due to habitat destruction. You may want to consider that before intentionally harming the frog population.

If you can determine what species they are, that will help in finding out whether or not they'll stay in the pond as adults or move off and only return next year to breed.

Personally, I am honored when wildlife makes its home in my garden. It feels good to be able to contribute to improving the quality of nature. I am actually working to make my pond more amphibian friendly in the hopes of coaxing some of the local frogs to come by.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all I appreciate all your input.!! First time pond owner, in fact my goal is to get another pond that can feed and flow into my newly built one. and a fountain, Any preference of a small predator fish? I was told by pond guy a bluegill or largemouth bass all of which are river fish and not legally suppose to harvest them. my local aquarium story mentioned a type of catfish but they were all out of stock..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do not know of any especially predatory fish for ponds. Aquatic turtles are predatory, at least of fish and fry.

Keep in mind that if they are toad tadpoles, many predators will not eat them because of the toxins.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@margojam Even though your pond is on the smaller side, I really don't think you need to be worried about being overrun by frogs or toads. Many of the tadpoles won't make it to maturity. Those that do will be competing for the same resources & some will move on (terrestrial frogs & toads will move on in any case) Others will become a meal for larger predators. Amphibians are a sign of a healthy ecosystem - enjoy them!
Frogs and or toads matter not . They will eat the food that is available at the pond. They EAT ALL THE FOOD THATS AVAIABLE AND MOVE ON. I don't have any issues with toads. My pond turns over too much. And it's easy to

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see how much of a problem I have with babies

Reaction score
Country
United States

Eastern pond turtles eat tadpoles.

Bullfrogs will too; they’ll also eat minnows.

Ask a Question