water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DFW = dallas fort worth, texas............fishin

we have hibiscus growing here in maryland zone 6.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Thanks fishin, I'll make a note to myself to remind you :cool:

make a note for me too! jw, would love some fishin. Will even pay for shipping if you want to send a baby one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found this on the net telling ya how to start from seed:

How to Propagate Hibiscus Coccineus
By Tanya Khan

How to Propagate Hibiscus Coccineusthumbnail Include the showy hibiscus coccineus in your yard or garden.

Also called scarlet rose mallow or scarlet hibiscus, hibiscus coccineus is a fast-growing shrub-like herbaceous perennial that dies in the winter and blooms every spring. The plant features single or multiple stems that grow 5 to 7 feet tall and produce 5- to 8-inch-wide crimson flowers. Although easily available in nurseries and garden centers, you can propagate the hardy hibiscus by seed or root division in fall or spring to include it in your landscape. Care for the plant properly until established, and it will liven up your landscape or garden with attractive form and color.

Difficulty:
Moderate

Instructions
Things You'll Need

Knife or nail file
Glass
Paper towel
4-inch pot (optional)
Seed starter mix (optional)
Spray bottle

Collect dried seed pods from a healthy hibiscus coccineus plant in late spring when the pods begin to crack, as soon as the danger of frost has passed. Because the plant grows true from seed, select seeds from your desired variety.

Nick a tiny section of each seed using the sharp edge of a knife or nail file to increase the rate of germination. Alternatively, roughen and thin seed coats using sandpaper.

Immerse the seeds in a glass of warm water to assist germination. Drain water from the glass using a strainer and place the seeds on a paper towel to dry them lightly.

Plant the seeds in well-draining soil with full sunlight and temperature at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Insert each seed 1/4-inch deep in the soil, and space multiple seeds 3 to 6 feet apart. Alternatively, add quality seed starter mix to a 4-inch pot and plant two to three seeds 1/4-inch deep. Mist the starter mix until evenly moist and spread plastic wrap over the top of the pot. Place the assembly in a warm spot with indirect sunlight and temperature consistent between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mist the soil frequently to ensure it remains evenly moist until the seeds germinate. While you don't want the soil to dry out completely, avoid overwatering the soil.

Tips & Warnings

Ideally, seedlings emerge in less than two weeks from planting. Once established, hibiscus coccineus are drought-resistant and thrive without water for longer periods.

Ensure the seedlings receive adequate sunlight while growing to keep them from growing leggy.

Thin out potted seedlings to one per pot when they grow 1 inch tall. Pull out thinner seedlings from the mix, along with the roots. Transplant the seedlings to the desired planting site when they grow 4 to 5 inches tall.

Attachments

• Hibiscus Coccineus.jpg
    Hibiscus Coccineus.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 144

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have a couple of babies but I really don't know if they will ship well or not. I went out and looked and right now I see about 8-10 seed pods that are only a week or two from being ready, eack pod hold between 6-20 seeds. I can send them in a stamped envelope and know they will be fine for shipping.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool fishin, I'll send you a p.m w/ my address..........thank you muchly :lol:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, the babies that are growing are from seeds that fell off last year, I didn't do anything to start them so I doubt with the right method they would be hard to start at all.

Ask a Question