Planning pond at an elevation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm just in planning stage for a Koi pond and would love some input. The area for the future pond sits above a retaining wall. A very convenient place to put the pump equipment would be at a lower level than the pond. I'm very concerned about a malfunction draining the pond. Anyone else have a similar scenario and solution? I hear terms like "gravity fed" as I'm researching. Not sure if that's what it means - pump lower than water level??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pumps need to be above water level and never below it because of the pump .If a power outage happens the water will run back wards and it also makes the pump work harder .If the pump is in the pond for every foot you loose some gph power .I made my hoses as short as possible out of the pond .External pumps are the same way .I made that mistake when I was building my new pond .The water was running out of the from the pump to the temporary filter and power went out and almost drained my pond ,but at least no fish were in it yet they were all in a temporary holding tank .I figured 1 night would not hurt ,I was wrong .I have a well and dd not want to really cause problems with it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
The pump will not have to work harder if it is placed below the water level. Water always finds its own level. If you break a pipe it could drain the pond but that can happen even with the pump above the pond. I find a pump below or at water level is better because you never have to prime it. If my power is interrupted the pump never looses the prime. My system pumps water up to another pond 5 feet above the lower one. Plumbing must incorporate some system to stop water siphoning back down to the lower pond. If it is a small amount of water into a filter or waterfall supply pond should not be an issue. I have an air valve in my pipe at the high point to break any siphon from happening.

Here is a great tutorial on pond plumbing ( sorry on another forum )
ttps://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?48919-Pond-Plumbing-Primer-Version-2

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. A very convenient place to put the pump equipment would be at a lower level than the pond.

My pump is below water level (external) I love it being there, no priming, power goes out the pump comes right back on. I have never had a issue with it draining the pond out. The line feeding the pump is right at water level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
concerned about a malfunction draining the pond.
As you should be. However there are ways to solve that problem an air break is one . you can buy one or you can put a hole in the pipe soitbreaks he siphon. the other is swing check valves they have a spring you install them in a particular configuration horizonrally or vertical. then when the power goes out pump dies etc the spring closes the gate and the water pushing on it closes the draining.
or you can get a more efficient electric check valve when the power goes out it slams shut.
I to have my pump lower then two bogs and the one main bog is a pipe thats in a trench 7 feet deep and 18 feet long if it failed it would be a boat load of water. but it works fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A simple inexpensive check valve. You can buy them for nearly any size and type of pipe.

I would install the check valve up as close to the pond as possible. This way, if a pipe breaks below that or a connection to the pump leaks, the pond will be protected by the check valve.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A simple inexpensive check valve. You can buy them for nearly any size and type of pipe.

I would install the check valve up as close to the pond as possible. This way, if a pipe breaks below that or a connection to the pump leaks, the pond will be protected by the check valve.
The one thing to keep in mind is there are horizontal and vertical check valves make sure you order the right one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really? I didn't know it mattered. How would it even matter?
There are models that have a central spring those can generally be placed in any configuration then there are those that are like a door and are hinged to one side. if you install the door with the hinge down gravity is fighting against the spring and sometimes will not sit properly. From what i have seen those you usually have to be concerned with show a flow direction and will say horizontal or vertical

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I used a check valve but was disappointment in it as it would clog and reduce flow. I wonder how much flow restriction a good valve has? This is why I just went with an air brake in the system, no flow reduction or clogging with algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a check valve but was disappointment in it as it would clog and reduce flow. I wonder how much flow restriction a good valve has? This is why I just went with an air brake in the system, no flow reduction or clogging with algae.
That they do . the expensive electric check valves are not restrictive but are not cheap and take some doing to set them up with power etc. residentialy i have never seen one only in commercial practices

Ask a Question