Planting dahlias next to liner pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Reappearance of a really old post... but I will add that we have been warned to never put cattails harvested from local marshes and streams in a liner pond. Those roots are strong enough to penetrate concrete and have been known to go through liner.

Like addy mentioned, I will try almost anything in, on, or around my pond/bog. I figure if it grow, good for me and if not, oh well! I love impatiens in the streams and around the waterfall - they fill in so nicely and give constant color. I either use the New Guinea style impatiens or the ones that are marketed as "sunpatiens" - they handle the sun better than the regular impatiens and, of course, being in the pond they don't need constant watering like the ones in my flower beds do.

As for perennials, we do have lots of different types of sedum that grow between the rocks as well as creeping Jenny and even some miniature evergreens, which look really cool. And watercress is turning out to be a perennial plant in our bog and waterfall as well.

As for hibiscus - yes, they can grow large but I haven't had one take off yet. Mine just got really tall and never flowered much so I gave up ... but maybe this year is the year to try again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've done sweet potato vine with great success. Petunias weren't happy in my floating island, but I've seen them in shallow streams.

I have hostas growing in my bog - never thought that one would work!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have black eye susans growing in my bog and on some rocks by my waterfall, elephant ears in my streams, going to try some cone flower this year as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Coneflowers and black-eyed susans look so beautiful near ponds and waterfalls - and elephant ears (taro) are so fantastic! Love the large foliage!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have black eye susans growing in my bog and on some rocks by my waterfall, elephant ears in my streams, going to try some cone flower this year as well.
I would love to have black eye susans growing in mine, but found out I am allergic to them, so they need to be where I don't have to groom.

Ask a Question