Plants for new pond?

Reaction score
Just got done setting up a new pond (~100-200 gallons), which has two small shelves built in (both sitting next to a waterfall). I went and bought some grass looking plant for both, but not happy that much. Looking for a low plant to fit in the two corners, as I don't want to block the waterfalls or take away from the landscaping around the pond.

Also been reading I should put some submersible plants in there to help? True? Can these go around the pump/filter to help "block" it from view?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you dont want to put submersables (oxygenators) too close they may get sucked in and clog your underwater filter. it will blend in soon enough. a water lilly would give some surface coverage to shade the water, this will help keep the water cooler.. help with alge and provide the fish somewhere to duck into for shade and when spooked.

Reaction score
I have the filters and pumps right in the front side of the pond directly in between the waterfalls. Could I put the lilly pad there. The bottom would be next to the pumps/filters and top partblocking the view of the pumps. How close is too close to the waterfalls? Also the small pump I run occasionally moves the water right above it - too much waater movement for lilly pads?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
lilies preferr still water so the further from the falls the better, but i doesnt look like you have enough water movement to really disturb them too much, put it where you like, if it cause plant stress move it alittle..one good mature hardy lilly will probably give you nice coverage. they can give 4' of spread. even more. if you buy mature lillies the tag will tell you spreads.

Reaction score
frankrizzo said:
Just got done setting up a new pond (~100-200 gallons), which has two small shelves built in (both sitting next to a waterfall). I went and bought some grass looking plant for both, but not happy that much. Looking for a low plant to fit in the two corners, as I don't want to block the waterfalls or take away from the landscaping around the pond.

Also been reading I should put some submersible plants in there to help? True? Can these go around the pump/filter to help "block" it from view?

Hi Frank,

A plant that I like and is low growing is a Rain Lilly. It is submerged about 2-6 inches below the water surface, can winter over, and produces flowers.

Reaction score
Hi,
Could I put the lilly pad there. The bottom would be next to the pumps/filters and top partblocking the view of the pumps. How close is too close to the waterfalls? Also the small pump I run occasionally moves the water right above it - too much waater movement for lilly pads?

Reaction score
Lililes pad's don't like the tops of the leaves covered in water (splashes from the waterfall). They will drown if the tops are always covered in water (which is why they have the notch in the pad to drain water from the rain). If you don't get splashing water on the pads it should be fine.

Reaction score
frankrizzo said:
Looking for a low plant to fit in the two corners, as I don't want to block the waterfalls or take away from the landscaping around the pond.

I'd like to recommend Mentha Aquatica, commonly known as water mint. Water mint grows in shallow margins or even stream beds. I like planting it in my bog garden with the roots buried in dirt and submerged under water. The plants raise themselves above the water and send out creepers to all sides which in turn root and grow.

2779089616_951f5b2380.jpg

A mature plant can grow three feet tall but can easily be trimmed back. As these plants grow, the foliage can become quite dense, thereby offering excellent concealment possibilities. As the name suggests, this plant gives off a clean minty aroma. The plant is edible and after rinsing the leaves off, you may chiffonade the leaves by rolling them up and slicing them into thin strips for use in a tossed salad.

Chiffonade1.jpg

Regarding plants by a pump - use plastic ones if you must. The suction from a pump can suck in live plants and clog the intake.

I've hidden my pumps by putting decorative stone around them. The tops have been covered with flagstone. Use of stones serve two purposes. They conceal the pump and they also block drifting aquatic plants like frogbits from being sucked into the pump.

Reaction score
Hi,
the further from the falls the better, but i doesnt look like you have enough water movement to really disturb them too much, put it where you like, if it cause plant stress move it alittle..one good mature hardy lilly will probably give you nice coverage. they can give 4' of spread. even more. if you buy mature lillies the tag will tell you spreads.

Reaction score
Hi,
the further from the falls the better, but i doesnt look like you have enough water movement to really disturb them too much, put it where you like, if it cause plant stress move it alittle..one good mature hardy lilly will probably give you nice coverage. they can give 4' of spread. even more. if you buy mature lillies the tag will tell you spreads.

Ask a Question