Plants that will grow into a waterfall or stream

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The biggest benefit for me with growing my choc mint in water, is that is doesn't die out when it starts getting really hot (90's F+). In the ground it seems to die back in the summer but in a bog situation, it keeps right on going. Doesn't freeze back in the winter here either in the water but does in the ground. I grow lots of mint for our bunnies because I have a vermicompost bin under their hutches and they give me lots of good compost for the garden. Mint is their favorite!

Love the idea of the vermicompost bin under the rabbit hutches! I have a sort of a vermicompost bin that's part of my turtle habitat -- dual purpose. Gives the boxies a nice retreat AND something to eat. A bed & breakfast, so to speak!

How much does the choc. mint spread? Wondering how many plants I should get.

Reaction score
If you have a little shade in a certain area. Some of the ground covering gingers might be good around the pond (waters edge) and shouldn't be harmful. The panda face ginger (Asaram maximum) or Wild ginger (Asaram splendens) are ground covers and will spread. Bamboo ginger has a darker leaf and neat light orange cones that come up near the ground. It only gets 1-2 feet. Globba gingers (Dancing ladies ) also stay small and have really neat flowers that kinda dangle and move in the breeze. Peacock ginger (Kaempheria) has really neat leaves and stay pretty short.

I don't know if I would grow morning glories right around the pond. It seems like they would drop seeds everywhere and become invasive in warmer climates. Although obviously poisonous to people, I have no clue if they would be poisonous to fish and other critters like turtles etc.
That said, I do grow tons of Japanese Morning Glories, Moonflowers, Datura, Brugmansia, Plumeria, and other poisonous plants all around our property. I have free ranging chickens, turkey, ducks, and sometimes I let the geese out lol. They never eat the poison stuff. If they do get a nibble it doesn't seem to affect them. I have seen them nip at a brugmansia leaf and spit it out so I don't think birds really care for the taste of poisonous things or know which chemicals in the plants are bad. I don't know what fish would do ...maybe they know better too?

Reaction score
If you get the larger pots of choc mint at Home Depot vs the tiny ones you may be able to divide your mint and get more plants thus having to buy less. Also, mint will root in water. If you find a pot that has some long pieces of mint in it you can trim some off maybe about 5-6 inch pieces. Trim about 1/4 inch under the leaf node and trim off all the leaves except a few on the top. Stick them in a clear glass by a sunny window and keep the water clean. I have also just torn off little pieces of mint with a bit of roots on it and stuck a bunch in a pot of potting soil and put in the shade and keep moist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I also saw a tutorial, think it was here, or Koiphen, where impatiens did beautifully! I'm going to try that this year. Think it was recommended to look for the "sunpatiens" variety. It was a beautiful result and I'm anxious to try it this year:) Kim

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What do you have in the stock tank within your pond? A lotus mabe?

Oh had to go look to see what you were talking about mo. That is a floating ring w/ fiberglass screen attached underneath to keep the fish out. Inside that ring is just floating Azolla.

Mosquito Fern or Azolla is a small free-floating fern approximately 1 to 3/8 inches wide. Leaves of the mosquito fern overlap giving a quilted look to the surface and hide the stem. A single root protrudes from each stem. Mosquito ferns can vary in color from green to red and are generally found in quiet ponds protected from wind action. Mosquito ferns can be aggressive invaders in quiet ponds and are often found mixed in with duckweeds or water meal. If these fern colonies cover the surface of the water, then oxygen depletion's and fish kills can occur. These plants should be controlled before they cover the entire surface of the pond.

Dense colonies of mosquito fern provide habitats for many micro and macro invertebrates. These invertebrates in turn are used as food by fish and other wildlife species (e.g. amphibians, reptiles, ducks, etc.). After aquatic plants die, their decomposition by bacteria and fungi provides food (called ?detritus?) for many aquatic invertebrates. Mosquito fern has no known direct food value to wildlife.

IMG_2032.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just learned about azolla a few months ago - I'm going to try to find some for the pond this year. I don't think I've ever seen it for sale. Where did you get yours?

We grow impatiens in our pond and our pondless waterfall. We've used both varieties - regular and Sunpatiens. They both grow like crazy. Just stick them directly into the pond near an edge or between some rocks and watch 'em grown! I've grown them in floating planters, too - beautiful!

I won't grown impatiens anywhere else anymore - they require daily - or even twice daily - watering in the heat of summer. In the pond they are literally no maintenance plants.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if I would grow morning glories right around the pond. It seems like they would drop seeds everywhere and become invasive in warmer climates. Although obviously poisonous to people, I have no clue if they would be poisonous to fish and other critters like turtles etc.

One thing I have to consider when dealing with the box turtles is that they can and will climb things -- and they're GOOD at it. I'm very leery of growing anything that vines upward as it's possible to make a little turtle ladder :nailbiting: if it were to fall over or decide to grow a different course. It probably wouldn't be a problem as long as you kept a close watch and kept the vines trimmed, but some vines can get out of control quickly. Now, that being said, I do have some kind of honeysuckle vine and a clematis vine inside the perimeter of their habitat, but not growing anywhere near an enclosure wall -- plus, they are slow-growers.

Oh, and I also have some morning glories that grow out of my compost bin -- very pretty! I guess they are seeds that got tossed in with old cut back vines.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got my Chocolate mints! There were only 2 pots that looked good. Hmm, kinda like a box of candy, LOL!

Moss Rose [I think that's what it's called], which is supposed to be good for dry soils -- I've stuck that among the rock edging before, and it did VERY well, adding lots of color! But I didn't see any for sale last year....

And what about Fiber Optic Grass? Those little baby plants looked cute, and it said they don't grow very big. That's about the right scale for the little stream, and I may be able to put them inside with some gravel like a marginal.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one thing I did learn about plants like to suck up the water from your pond so don't always think it is leaking as it could be the plants .Plus watch those roots .I had roots grow into the fold of the liner and the roots actually pulled the seam apart from the upper waterfall liner and the pond and it caused it to leak .I took out huge clumps of roots and had to redo the waterfall.IU thought at the time the pond was leaking and it sure was but not where I thought it was .I have begun to wonder now if I did not get them all and what ever chewed my liner may have been after the juicy roots .i was out looking at my pond before and realized that the part that was chewed was right next to the part I rebuilt .Leaves me with a big question in my mind and big troubles because now I have to replace the liner .My nightmare now may be the nightmare from last year .To be continued :watching::bigtears:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bum,bum,bummer sissy and hope it turns out that it's not as bad as you think :inpain:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I already ordered a new liner and will have to replace the liner again and raise the bridge and fight another 45 mil liner .I will be looking close to see if there are roots back there .I will be adding milky spore to kill slugs that attract moles and voles .I will have to take the one filter apart and take the boards up and move fish to temporary holding area .Hope it does not stress aggie and bert to much and sure hoping I don't hurt them when I catch them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That's a bummer Sissy that you have to replace your liner.

Since my pond is new, I plan on adding plants around the pond this year, so following this thread for some good ideas too. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sissy maybe you need to put some hardware cloth under your liner, that will help keep them from being able to nibble on your liner

Reaction score
Chameleon is another good "fast-growing" plant in floating planters and around waterfall. I have soil-less plants in my waterfall weir. They are thriving.

Ask a Question