Plants that will grow into a waterfall or stream

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Was going to suggest ajuga, but you beat me to it. VERY sun tolerant, comes in several colour varieties, but can be invasive.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was going to suggest ajuga, but you beat me to it. VERY sun tolerant, comes in several colour varieties, but can be invasive.
John

Good! I couldn't recall how my others took the sun in the past. Yes, they can quickly overgrow an area, but are pretty easy to controll.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had some of that Ajuga in a garden bed and it went nuts and grew out into the grass and roots went down and I tried to pull it all out and it kept coming back for years. Finally got rid of it. Never will I see that plant here again hopefully. Pretty plant tho.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have around 7 if not more different kinds of ground covers, they work great for stopping weeds, nice flowers. Grow nice and dense. I have been planting the slope with them to slow down the spring weed crop and just make it look nice.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What about Sweet Woodruff? From what I've heard, it spreads, but very slowly from what my grandma said (she has some along her fence). It can also grow through rock.

I took two plants from my grandma last spring and planted them along my stream. They grew a little but didn't get the chance to stretch to the water last year. I really like the way they look .

62bo.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a pretty plant JB and does it flower? The name brought to mind a plant that a friend and I were given the seeds of when teenagers to try for taking a little mind excursion and it was called Baby Hawaiian Woodrose. Oh my we never did that again. Actually made us feel ill among other things.

Baby Hawaiian Woodrose
by babywoodrose

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose (Argyreia nervosa) is a member of the Convolvulaceae family, which also includes the morning glory. Also known as Baby Woodrose, Adhoguda, Vidhara, Elephant Creeper and Woolly Morning Glory, this plant is native to India but is now grown in many parts of the world such as the Caribbean, Hawaii and Africa. The plant actually grows in to a huge climbing vine that, to many, has ornamental value, as the vines stretch to 30 feet with huge, heart shaped leaves and 2-3″ mauve flowers in clusters. The flowers actually turn into attractive seed pods that have the appearance of woodrose.

The Hawaiian Baby Woodrose plant has a number of uses, stemming from it’s leaves, flowers and roots, but the most interest is in the Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Seeds, which have psychoactive properties and can induce hallucinations when consumed. The activator in seeds are the various lysergamide alkaloids (LSA), such as ergine. In many countries, it is legal to purchase, sell and grow the plant from Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds but the baby woodrose seeds are generally not approved for human consumption. LSA is a classified as a scheduled substance in the U.S., so extracting LSA from baby woodrose seeds is illegal. Purchasing the lsa seeds themselves, however, is not.

That being said, many folks are looking for Hawaiian Baby Woodrose and Baby Woodrose Seeds for gardening, collection or research purposes. Likewise, the search is on for Morning Glory Seeds. They are available and we’ll show you where to look. We’ve compiled a list of some of the top suppliers of baby woodrose products and Morning Glory products for you and we’ll be bringing a ton of articles and further in depth information on this fantastic plant so that you can get all of your information in one place. Be sure to come back often – and don’t forget to share your baby woodrose and morning glory experiences with us!
hawaiian-baby-woodrose-plant-and-seeds.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never have seen sweet woodruff here and how does it do in heat and dry weather .Does it get flowers with a scent or just what you posted in pic

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a pretty plant JB and does it flower?
Yes, they get tiny little white flowers.
wy4p.png

how does it do in heat and dry weather
We had an abnormally hot summer last year and they were in full sun, but they did the best out of any plant I had. I'm pretty sure I read that they recommend partially shady areas, but I had no problem with them. I did water them every few days or so.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read they are not invasive if kept in dry shady area but in our wet weather here in Washington I'm afraid they would take over.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about Sweet Woodruff? From what I've heard, it spreads, but very slowly from what my grandma said (she has some along her fence). It can also grow through rock.

I took two plants from my grandma last spring and planted them along my stream. They grew a little but didn't get the chance to stretch to the water last year. I really like the way they look .

Thanks! I looked that one up, and it looks like a contender except that it prefers shade/part-shade, and this area might get too much sun for it. I can certainly try it and if it doesn't work for the stream area, there are many other spots I can use it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks! I looked that one up, and it looks like a contender except that it prefers shade/part-shade, and this area might get too much sun for it. I can certainly try it and if it doesn't work for the stream area, there are many other spots I can use it.

Your welcome, and as I told Sissy, mine were in full sun last year in one of the hottest summers we've had and they did good. I watered them every few days when we had a lack of rain, but they seemed to have no problem.

Reaction score
I have the little short sedums growing in area's around my pond. They tend to try to take over but easy to just grab up a bunch and toss out. There is some in bloom on the rt lower corner side of this photo. The plant stays low but the blooms are a bit taller and it does kind of creep into the pond water a bit.

View attachment 65796
What do you have in the stock tank within your pond? A lotus mabe?

Reaction score
I've grown chocolate mint in water for the last 3 years. It loves water but like all the other mints it can be invasive but not as invasive as some of the others and the choc mint is not as invasive in water as it is in my garden. My lizard tail takes over the choc mint, usually.
The choc mint smells so good though! I usually just pull out any xtra if it gets out of hand and feed it to our bunnies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've grown chocolate mint in water for the last 3 years. It loves water but like all the other mints it can be invasive but not as invasive as some of the others and the choc mint is not as invasive in water as it is in my garden. My lizard tail takes over the choc mint, usually.
The choc mint smells so good though! I usually just pull out any xtra if it gets out of hand and feed it to our bunnies.

I have used chocolate mint before [I love finding all the different flavors or scents :)], and saw some at Home Depot yesterday. It wasn't as bad as some of the mints I've used in the turtle habitat, so think I'll go back and get some before it's all gone!

And I like to use mints because they ARE something the turtles can safely munch on.

Reaction score
The biggest benefit for me with growing my choc mint in water, is that is doesn't die out when it starts getting really hot (90's F+). In the ground it seems to die back in the summer but in a bog situation, it keeps right on going. Doesn't freeze back in the winter here either in the water but does in the ground. I grow lots of mint for our bunnies because I have a vermicompost bin under their hutches and they give me lots of good compost for the garden. Mint is their favorite!

Ask a Question