please help me understand intake bays

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah. That makes sense. I think the deep mixing helps with circulation of deep water, bringing it to the surface to receive oxygen, right? Same idea as adding an aerator.
yes; you want to mix the lower and upper but really, in our garden ponds, the mix happens anyhow with any movement. It takes deeper depths to get stratification of both temps and O2. In the summer, best to have the aerator near the bottom and in winter, near the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CW, that's not true. Oxygenation occurs AT THE SURFACE, not in any bubbles/air dragged down below it. Meyer did some research/has a post about it where he states there is very little transfer from the bubble rising and the water surrounding. So, the idea here is to agitate the surface--that's where you get the oxygenation. And of course, since the falls is an agitation of the flowing water, there's a lot of surface oxygenated. So deeper isn't any better re oxygenation. Better to have a pond with a lot of surface area than one with a lot of vertical volume. Most ponds/lakes depend on the wind to agitate and mix air to water.
While I have respected and agreed with Meyer. Coming from the aquarium side of the trade and injecting co2 into the water it was done by a bubble rising in a chute and got smaller as it was absorbed. Now surface agitation certainly helps yes but bubbles through a water column with boost the 02 levels yes minimal by comparison and with ducks I'd want all I can get

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I have respected and agreed with Meyer. Coming from the aquarium side of the trade and injecting co2 into the water it was done by a bubble rising in a chute and got smaller as it was absorbed. Now surface agitation certainly helps yes but bubbles through a water column with boost the 02 levels yes minimal by comparison and with ducks I'd want all I can get
I'm actually counting on the ducks to oxygenate - they love to dive and since our pond is not deep I'm guessing they'll mix the water column pretty well.
Thanks everyone for the feedback and info!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not environmental engineer but I'd bet they do way more g arm then any possible good to any body of water they are poop machines. Regular LARGE WATER CHANGES WOULD BE IN MY DESIGN

Ask a Question