Pond gone brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for help my brother bought this house last year which included a pond it had fish and ducks on it and has been fine until a free weeks its stated looking dirty and now it's brown and horrible - it is large around 10 meter approx we have just found that it is fed from a gill on the fell behind its doesn't have any filter I don't think - my brother is away at the moment band I am taking care of the house ! Any idea would be a great help the trees on the fell behind him have been cut down in the past few years apart from that I don't know what has caused it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20220528_144950130.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220209_112130495.jpg
    PXL_20220209_112130495.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220528_145053566.jpg
    PXL_20220528_145053566.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I would get on Youtube and look up Wild Your Garden with Joel Ashton. He is in your part of the world and is an expert on natural ecosystems. I bet if you commented on a recent pond video and asked a question, he would answer you! It seems to me that the pond has gone out of balance somehow, and that the brown stuff is a specific kind of overgrown algae. That is just my guess.
Another person you could ask would be Mark MJ Wilson, The Pond Advisor - also in the UK. Before he got his Aquascape contractor certification, he had many videos of ponds like yours - natural, with no additional filtration.
Good luck - and welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am re-reading your description - I wonder if the trees being cut down is allowing more debris to run off along with the water, and be carried into your pond? That would certainly create an imbalance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thank you for your reply I will try both of the people you suggested - I just can't believe how quickly it turned so brown - haven't got any experience with ponds

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653841126284.gif
and welcome @Colcath
Has to be from run off from up there running down the hills. Have you had lots of rains lately or a big gusher? Water and mud flow very fast and right into your pond at the low spot.
Gosh it was so beautiful before this happened! You are gonna need some kind of a huge filter I'm thinking.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! What a GORGEOUS setting! Where is that?

About the fish and other wildlife…..do they seem to be doing OK? Any obvious illnesses or die-offs? This could just be a normal seasonal change for this pond and surrounding area (I say that because it is a newer property and your brother might not have seen it during any other seasonal swings). Do you have any kind of Department of Wildlife or Environmental Services where you are? Maybe you could get someone to come out and test the water conditions — just to be on the safe side. Then, if there is an actual problem with the water, they would be the best ones to give you advice.

And, from an American with 1/2 but only distant UK ancestry……what is a “gill in a fell?”

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 151210and welcome @Colcath
Has to be from run off from up there running down the hills. Have you had lots of rains lately or a big gusher? Water and mud flow very fast and right into your pond at the low spot.
Gosh it was so beautiful before this happened! You are gonna need some kind of a huge filter I'm thinking.
There doesn't seem to be any soil erosion or any flooding the pond is in a field beside the house it's in the lakes so gets a lot of rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! What a GORGEOUS setting! Where is that?

About the fish and other wildlife…..do they seem to be doing OK? Any obvious illnesses or die-offs? This could just be a normal seasonal change for this pond and surrounding area (I say that because it is a newer property and your brother might not have seen it during any other seasonal swings). Do you have any kind of Department of Wildlife or Environmental Services where you are? Maybe you could get someone to come out and test the water conditions — just to be on the safe side. Then, if there is an actual problem with the water, they would be the best ones to give you advice.

And, from an American with 1/2 but only distant UK ancestry……what is a “gill in a fell?”
The house is in ennerdale in Cumbria - I could get in touch with the local council who might help or the environment agency - the pond is fed by Ben gill which is a little stream running if the fell behind the house x

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DO NOT INVITE ENVIRONMENTAL ANYONE TO YOUR BROTHERS PROPERTY. IT COULD BE A BAD WAY TO LOOSE A BROTHER. WHILE THEY COULD POSSUBLY HELP THEY CAN ALSO BECOME A NUESENCE WORSE THAT RATS . FOR INSTANCE IF THOSE TREES WERE CUT IN A WETLAND THEY COULD HAND OUT FINES.OR IF THEY WERE A VALUABLE SPECIES FOR THE WILD LIFE.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would look into aeration and possibly a fountain. . Quite often algae blooms choke off sunlight and oxygen. . Adding that can for a lot for a pond

Wish I had your problem that is a magnificent view.

Ask a Question