addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol tbendl, they are only 1/2 to 1 inch in size, yours are bigger! I even saw some in the tiny range again. Think all the aracharnis is helping some of the fry to survive.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here a blurry slightly green picture from this morning.
fish10.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need lots of lilies and blooming bog plants, this is looking down at the lilies around 15 feet away, in the 3 foot or so deep area

the green stuff is aracharnis and hornwort growing on the bottom. The picture loses a lot pulling it off the computer screen, lots better on the tv screen

p.JPG
b.JPG
ba.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks sooo cool, like natures umbrella's, only underwater. The only oxygenator that seems to survive is my parrots feather, I've got it potted and it's doing really well. The rest I fear doesn't survive in the full heat and sun. Maybe after I get some additional coverage I might try some again. My water gets HOT. The fish seem fine, but I think that's where the algae bloom comes from.
I just love the pictures!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is 83 right now, the lilies do help they are covering around 2/3 of the surface now. Last year it hit 88. We are heading to HOT tomorrow, like 100 real temp.
I do have aracharnis in a small hot stream pond doing just fine, actually growing like a weed. You need fish poop for stuff to grow well! which you now will be getting

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the water fill hose sitting right over the under water camera, we watched the fish dance in the water flow. So much fun they kept swimming though it. Nice cold fresh water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My babies ... all 3 of them that I have spotted so far ... are staying at the bottom. There is an area that doesn't get netted that they are feeding around, it's about 2" thick of algae looking stuff. They look just like your pics, Addy, so I'm sure mine are Shubies. Wondering if there are some black ones that would be harder to spot down on the dark bottom. Time will tell.
Oh, and with all the rain we have gotten the last 2 weeks or so, both of my ponds seem to be really evaporating in this heat. Only had .4" of of rain since Sat., and may need to top off the ponds tomorrow. Good grief ....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I top mine off every day, just pause the top off if we are getting a lot of rain. Easier than watching and worrying about the level. I have the electronic sprinkler system (which only sprinkles the pond and potted veggies) come on every night for 1/2 hour. If it over flows water change, but most of the time it is just enough to keep the pond full. My huge bog full of plants sucks down the water level. Everything is using a lot of water esp when you hit temps in the high 90's.

And all of my ponds and bog are full hot sun, facing south

Ask a Question