Pond in Southern Illinois

Reaction score
Yeah they do J.W.--I just hate to part with it, it was an $800 camera when I bough it 8 years ago, now even the cheapest new ones are way ahead of it, so I guess I need to pitch it--especially after today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great pics, Tim, and you have some really pretty babies in there! Where did you go in Altamont and get those albino catfish? And, OMG, what are you going to do with 6 albinos 15" or more next year?! Haha, sounds like they are going to rule the roost in your pond. I have an albino plecostomus in my goldfish pond, going to have to go swimming to catch him soon. Last year I put in a pleco about 6" long and 3 months later it was longer than a 5 gallon bucket is wide! The albino, though, has not grown very much, so must be a dwarf variety.

Reaction score
I'm really liking those catfish, hubby does too. With the new dig, I'm wanting the Bog falling into another pond, that falls into another pond. So maybe on the bottom pond, we could do a different type of pond, with catfish and such, think hubby would really get into that. Ooo maybe some sun fish and bluegill? They would show up in there wouldn't they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sounds like a plan to me, Fishy! Better make that bottom pond your biggest one, then, lots of room for your native fish. Then you will have to find some "No Fishing Allowed" signs. :) Your bluegill, sunfish, and catfish will likely get fed very well, and grow quite large! They won't know what to think if they are in clear clean water!

Reaction score
C.E., I ordered them at the home center in Altamont and Saturday a big tank truck came there and dropped my Albino Cats as well as fish for a bunch of other people, although all of them were buying blue gill and Bass and grass carp for their farm ponds. Check there if your interested--I think they come once or twice a year. Fishy I like your idea-ive thought about getting some red ear blue gills also but for now just the 16 albino cats. I have way to many fish in my 5000 gallon pond or I would get them now. Next year I'm gonna start culling out and selling a lot of my larger goldfish and certain ugly Koi so that I just have the Koi's, Goldfish and Albinos that I want, then I will have room for the blue gills--I have a lot of pea gravel in my pond and I always liked to watch blue gills build their spawning nest in it. I have the Kois and goldfish for their looks but who knows I may eat the cats and blue gills as they have offspring and the older ones get big, LOL--I am a hillbilly you know.

Reaction score
Well Ive had my new bigger pump in the pond for a week and Ive had super clean water ever since. The pump is supposedly only 500gph bigger than the old one but the new one is probably pumping close to 1000gph more than the old one (the old one was on its last leg and very weak at the end I imagine it was pumping no where near its rated capacity.) For the last week, up until today I was having to pull the skimmer filter material every day to clean it so the new pump was pulling a ton of suspended crap (probably was crap ,LOL) out of the pond. Today I cleaned it again but it looks like it could have went another day--also the water is so clear now that I believe I may get back to having to only clean it once a week like it was during the heyday of the old pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It will be interesting to see if the catfish spawn and reproduce, Tim. Usually in farm ponds, they don't as they need "moving water", or that's what I was always told. Your pond sure has moving water, so keep us posted on that! I might come get an albino cat from you if you get babies. That would take the place of the albino pleco, which I have to remove in the fall. Gotta find him first .... :)

Reaction score
Yes Patti, I think with the current created by the waterfall the Cats should spawn--at least I hope so. You can come anytime, even now if you want a couple Albinos right away--You dont have to wait till they reproduce---I have 16 so come anytime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, have you ever tried to catch fish once they are in your pond? Good luck with that! I have to try to locate my little bitty albino pleco I put in the goldfish pond in the spring to see if he would grow any faster than in the aquarium. The regular black pleco I put in koi pond last year doubled in size almost in 3 months. But, this albino was spotted about 2 months after being in there, and didn't seem to be any bigger. Will have to don the wetsuit and mask and snorkel to try to locate him one of these days, or maybe wait until the pond lilies die back, but don't want to wait too long. Last year, the big pleco came to the shelves where the water was warmer when it got cold, so maybe this little guy will do that, too! I can always hope anyhow .... :) And, if you can catch one of those albinos, maybe I need to watch your technique! I used a seine net, 3 other helpers and 2 nets catching fish, and still had about 6 goldfish could not catch in May. Got 4 more babies caught, but I think there are at least 8 more goldfish still in the koi pond, darn it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice shots. I wouldn't bother trying to fix the camera, it would probably cost more than a new one. The technology has changed so much. I saw a canon I would love to buy (but I have 4 digitals so resisting) with two lens you go from wide angle to 500 mm, the lens are not even that big.

The little pocket cameras can do so much now. I use a sony cybershot, older but still does great. Olympus for under water and if I really want to play my large canon with all the lens, it is years old, like 10 or so, bought as a film camera, replaced the body with digital about 7 years ago.

Reaction score
Your right Addy--Ive started looking for a new one--Actually I have 2 nice newer ones available, Annes and my Daughters but I think I will break down and buy me one like I want.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great, there are a lot out there! Read the reviews on line by the photo experts start narrowing the field lol.

Ask a Question