Pond in Southern Illinois

Reaction score
Thanks to Country Escape for the water primrose, its in the pond and looking good. We loved your pond and plan on getting Koi soon after seeing yours. When you feel like comming and checking the pond out Patti just Email us and I will send directions, talk to you later, Tim & Anne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It was great to be able to show my pond to another ponder and this time two! Was great to meet you both, and thoroughly enjoyed your company. I'm glad you like the primrose. Remember, if next spring it did not make it through the winter, you know where to find all you want again, so don't fret. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome sheetmetalman are you related to the tin man in the Wizard of Oz lol .I love your pond and had to laugh at where you found the rocks .My house was built on an old cow pasture and I came to the conclusion that cow pies turn into rocks after a few years .I have so many rocks on my property ,they seem to appear from no where .So could be your rocks where cow pies at one time .:lol::yikesu:

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
The dye will fade out.I use it too,love the stuff,especially if you live in the [blue heron-egrets] district,like me.
Looks great neighbor

Reaction score
Here is pics of Country Escape's water primrose she gave us-( thanks again Patti) as well as other plants we've found, or been given by friends and neighbors, and recent pics of the goldfish and new Koi. Thanks everybody for the input and nice comments.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 431
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 414
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 362
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 370
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 390
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 334

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Really turning out very nice, love the fish, But not a fan of the blue water. I've seen it used before and it does doa good job for what it's designed to do but I really don't like looking and through the blue at the fish. The sitting area is fine! I really like how that came out and the pond is really impressive from the first muddy pics I saw not that long ago, You and the better half should really be proud.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I'm jealous! Your primrose looks better than mine! LOL I think you have more in one area than I have, so maybe I need to go scoop some more out and put it with the other stuff. Glad you're enjoying it, and your other plants look super! Koi and goldies are VERY healthy looking. Good job! Love it!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK, I'm jealous! Your primrose looks better than mine! LOL I think you have more in one area than I have, so maybe I need to go scoop some more out and put it with the other stuff. Glad you're enjoying it, and your other plants look super! Koi and goldies are VERY healthy looking. Good job! Love it!!!

I just had to move around the primrose you sent, it is growing like crazy and looking great, the fish love being under it.

Very nice job, sheetmetalman, your fish are beautiful. All is looking great.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I thought it would hold up better than the flimsy little light grid that they used on the skippy website. As for the price I was lucky a store here quit carrying it and had 1 sheet left that they sold me for 20 bucks
ive had the light grid in my 2 filters for a few years now and it has held up well...but the pvc lattice should last a lifetime!

Reaction score
I'm slowly trying to ween the pond off of the blue dye( IF I can keep Anne from dumping it in when I'm at work, LOL). I agree with you fishin4cars--it seems to help with the green algae but now that I have more fish I would like more transparent water. Like Pondaholic mentioned I also like the dye because I too have a lot to fear from Blue Herons-- as I live on Vandalia lake and I watch them from my back deck as they fish in the shallows next to my boat house. So far they are down the hill at the lake but its only a short distance from the Lake up the hill to the Pond with just my house and my dogs between the 2. I have read and talked to Pond people that swear by Heron Statues placed in or near your pond to discourage real Herons from landing-- since usually Herons are lone hunters who wont land if they see another Heron (or a Heron Statue) standing next to a pond. I SAY USUALLY because as I run my Pontoon around the lake I HAVE seen 2 Herons hunting within 30 feet of each other a time or two over the years.. Anyway I thought it cant hurt-- so when I saw a pretty good statue on clearance at Kmart in Branson Mo. last week I bought it and placed it in the Pond. Now we will wait and see, and hope for the best as the water slowly clears of the dye. Country Escape, I have really been toying with the idea of stopping at that slewy lake between Lebanon and Ofallon and wading out and getting one of those giant lilly pads (2 foot+) and sticking it in the pond, just for the heck of it. All those little fish that I was telling you guys about that got transferred as eggs or fry from my neighbors pond along with the pond plants he gave me have grown to between an inch and half to 2 inchs long already and when I first noticed them they were blue gray--now they are starting to changed into pretty colorfull little devils (hoping they are koi but still not sure)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 300

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it looks better and better every time you show pics of the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love that birdy house I'm going to have to try and copy it if you don't mind it's birdy feeder geeze

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very beautiful spot you live in and sissy is right it's gets better every time you post more photo's! I've heard that putting a statue of the Heron by a pond can sometimes draw them to your pond especially at mating season..............so be on the watch!

Ask a Question