Pond is finally in!

Reaction score
We joined up last fall but the rain and time got out of hand so it waited. The final pond is now 6000 gallons- hate to see te new water bill its a dog leg 55 inches deep. What a job getting the liner in place by myself. Fortunally I had a back hoe to drop it liner in once I got it all refolded so I could pull it out myself phew what a job. I'll post some construction pictures soon. Now I have to take care of our new pet a pot belly pig called Sr Francis Robert Bakin Bits Kemp the First- nicknick name Pidders Can't wait to get the pond together.

Reaction score
Please do post pictures. I haven't started digging yet but I have been watching the post about liner size. What size is your pond and what size liner did you use?

Reaction score
mgmine said:
Please do post pictures. I haven't started digging yet but I have been watching the post about liner size. What size is your pond and what size liner did you use?
The lighner was 30 x 30 the actual pond is 17' 10 by 18'11 by 59 a dog leg shape.To dig it I borrowed a back hoe to much to dig in Ohio clay. A few pics in the first pic the falls roughed out tomorrow foam it down so I can start it up.
8897041904_bf1e563271.jpg
8896420145_c1967966dc.jpg

Reaction score
What are you using for filtration ?

I have a 6500 GPH pump that will filter through lava rock. This system had worked very well for me over the last 20 ponds I have installed.

Reaction score
The falls is up and going now to get the pond skimmer going and rocks, and rocks phew tired, I got up at 5:30 starting at 6:30 this morning just came in the house 9:15. I'll take a picture tomorrow just don't look at the expandable foam hanging out all over the falls it will be trimed off as soon as the water is warm enough for me to get into the pond. I have to put the other 400 pounds of lava rock in the falls adn finish the rocks arround. I found some stuff callsd rock in a roll sure looks great to hide the black liner. Can't wait to start adding new Koi. We had 4 that came from the old pond. We have 2 15 inchers yellow and white and 2 angles orange white and black 10 inches. I plan to start breading again so a second pond is being planned.

Reaction score
8928988431_bb40184e84.jpg

View of the falls roughed in. I have to get into the water to sculpted to expandable foam but its just to cold to get in right now. We had a huge rain storm last night and it turned the water all murky. Rocks and cover up have to be finished on 2 sides and around the falls. Oh yeah the pond skimmer has to be installes yet wher the yellow tubes enter the water.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw a trick on hiding that foam but one would of had to do it when the foam was still wet...it was to throw small rocks/rock dust into/on it and it held it there stuck into the foam. I did the same thing you did with my first pond but hid the foam well with smaller rocks. NICE POND!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I get bulging foam, I yank it off with fingers, no straight knife cuts, it blends in better. Over time it will get greenish, brownish and just disappear. I do like rebel, stick rocks in it as it cures, but sometimes it pushes the rock out if I was over exuberant with the foam squirt can.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nohandles said:
8928988431_bb40184e84.jpg

View of the falls roughed in. I have to get into the water to sculpted to expandable foam but its just to cold to get in right now. We had a huge rain storm last night and it turned the water all murky. Rocks and cover up have to be finished on 2 sides and around the falls. Oh yeah the pond skimmer has to be installes yet wher the yellow tubes enter the water.
in this pic it looks heart shaped .If that is your air hose and you want to weigh it down .I use abs pipe cut and run hose through it .This last time I got a masonry bit and got river rock and drilled holes in the rocks and ran hose through the rocks .

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments. As far as the foam I've been a wood carver all my life so when I take out the extra foam I will plunge cut with several knives into the foam and break it out to look like a natural rock once we actually get a real summer it will turn dark like the rocks.
The new trouble is that I have never had a pond with this much sun on it so ALGIE! I've put in 6 bundles of barly straw it cleared for a while the back to green. I've been loosing about 150 to 200 gallons in 3 to 4 days so far. I trought I had a leak but I can't find one? now I believe it may be all the sun and the falls together through evaraperation.
I've just ordered a 40 watt UV starilizer and a couple extra bulbs to see if this will help. I plan to put a Japinees maple toward the back for some shade. Found a 12 footer but I have to diig it out sounds like backhoe time to me but for 70 bucks!

Ask a Question