j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh I hope the raccoons don't get them! Can't wait to see the babies. You're lucky you can get your hyacinth to grow so nicely :bowdown:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
blessedfamily said:
My water hyacinths are blooming and I almost stepped on my duck eggs! First duck eggs I have seen in my yard in three years,hope the raccoons don't get them.

Get a driveway alarm from Harbor Freight. They are on sale now. That will alert you at night if the R's come on an egg hunt.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
Get a driveway alarm from Harbor Freight. They are on sale now. That will alert you at night if the R's come on an egg hunt.

They work great! I got two when Dr. Dave told me about them. I get a few false alarms for lizards and frogs but then again I have tons of them in my yard so it's expected.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
They work great! I got two when Dr. Dave told me about them. I get a few false alarms for lizards and frogs but then again I have tons of them in my yard so it's expected.

Actually, it is warm air currents that false it. IR works on heat in the infra red zone. Lizards and frogs are cold blooded and will not set them off unless they disturb the air enought to cause a thermal ripple.

During the summer, one of mine drove me crazy during the day when we had a prevailing breeze. I generally shut it off until it is calm and it works normal.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
those driveway alarms are great from there ,I have 2 of them 1 I actually use for my driveway and 1 for the pond .I was thinking of going to Danville tomorrow to harbor freight after seeing they were on sale ,use it at the back of my house on the decks so the patio doors are protected ,I have to get a new hose for my air compressor any way .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sissy
Make sure you look at the ones you have. They have only 5 channels. So whatever you have, make sure you get one or more of the other available channels.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering about that must have lucked out when I bought the others and got 2 different have to look at the ones I have before I go .Thanks for telling I would not have thought about it until I got it home and wondered what was going on geeze

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The back of each unit has the channel number on it. You might want to add an addtional tag because the one they put on is not very weather resistant.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Both of the ones I have are under trees almost attached to the trees they are shielded from rain .But the one I am buying for the back decks will have nothing to shield them from the rain .Going to have to think of something for that one .I have always worried about the patio doors in the back and now with part of the woods going worry more .With the frogs and stuff by my pond I just try to put it above the height they go .Safe here as long as there are no giant sized frogs around here.LOL

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My problem with them is not them jumping or moving in front of the sensor, It's them crawling all over it! But Dr. Dave may be right, mine are set right near some rocks so that heat being blown wind a wind comes in may be part of it too. Once in a while one of the dogs will set them off too but not often.

Reaction score
Well today I went out to count the duck eggs..I had seven two days ago and now they are all gone,no egg shells,nothing all gone,what could have eaten all my duck eggs? :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Had to be something that carted them all off if there is no sign of breakage. Don't know what that would be. Some snakes will eat them whole but not seven at a time........maybe 7 snakes. Whatever it was that's sad cuz we were all waiting for the little ducklings to hatch :)

Reaction score
Yeah it is very very strange because we mowed today and found no eggs under the grass or any signs at all..we are all bummed about it over here as this was our first duck eggs :) I have not seen momma duck today either. Hubby said snake too but I am with you 7 seems a little much for one snake,it's a mystery for sure.

Ask a Question