Pond is starting to look good.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was going to ask where Momma was. Any chance they hatched and she moved off somewhere with them?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Amber I don't think the duck ate the eggs..........she could not eat all 7 anyways at one time.
Found this on the net just now:

I rather doubt that a raccoon would go after something the size of a grown chicken. Raccoons are omnivores. From my experience they show a far greater interest in fruits, nuts, berries, melons, and dry cat and dog food than they do meat or chicken. They do, however, love eggs. That they haven't gotten the eggs yet, makes me think they must not want to take on the chickens - but that's no guarantee that they won't give it a try if they get hungry enough. For protein, they are much more likely to eat eggs, grubs, nuts, and smaller creatures such as mice or rats if they can find or catch one.

If a raccoon did manage to steal an egg, I doubt she would eat it around the chicken for fear of attack. Believe it or not, raccoons can actually carry raw chicken eggs without breaking them. I've seen them sort of jog upright on their hind legs while holding the egg in front of them in their two 'hands' and have also seen them carry a large chicken egg (raw) in their mouths without breaking it and even climb a fence and tree with it. They are quite amazing creatures.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have fox .We have silver and red ones and they still my neighbors chicken eggs .They actually climbed my neighbors fence and killed her little dog right after they moved in .

Reaction score
I thinking raccoon or a family of coons,we do have coons,fox and coyotes so it's really just a guess,momma came back but is not going anywhere near the nest so I am not sure if she will attempt to lay again or not.Thanks J.W for all the information.

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
blessedfamily said:
I thinking raccoon or a family of coons,we do have coons,fox and coyotes so it's really just a guess,momma came back but is not going anywhere near the nest so I am not sure if she will attempt to lay again or not.Thanks J.W for all the information.

Oh dont get me started about raccoons the spawn of hell argggg.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi Amber. The raccoons by me actually fish out the bigger snails and break their shells. I wouldn't put it past them to steal some eggs. By the way your pond looks great. Congratulations on a good job!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a bunch of trapdoors in my pond, but luckily it is deep enough, unless the snails manage to crawl to the walk out part they are safe. And that area has a lot of plant coverage to help hide them.

Have not seen any coon prints in the pond recently, since spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, Me too, but sometimes staying at the same size is the best choice because it gives you time to do other things. Hate to bring up the fact that there may be something else to do besides working on a pond.

Reaction score
Very true..I was just thinking how much work/time I put into my pond and if I could really take it all apart after getting it where it is at today..I am leaning more towards no but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do another pond elsewhere.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
add one .............attached by a stream to the one you have.

Ask a Question