Pond Issues at Strata complex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We have a larger pond with a thick liner (bladder). Every so often (usually after rainy weather) two parts of the liner float at the surface. Eventually these areas sink again. We believe we have two holes in the liner. Does anyone have any experience with fixing this type of liner/bladder which actually goes up the bank of the pond and under gravel and grass so it would be very hard to remove to fix. Any suggestions welcome.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not a hole in the liner issue, it is a water drainage issue or high water table, water is building up under the liner and forcing the liner up (called a hippo). Try digging down next to the liner , to where the pond bottom/water table is-and installing pipe vertically, it will give the water somewhere else to go besides pushing up the pond liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Can we see pictures?

100% agree with @Jhn! We have clay soil and a high water table. That equals what we call a “water hippo.” My solution was to raise the sides of the pond so that the water level was always at or just above ground level. We had more than enough excess liner to do this and it worked for me, but Jhn’s suggestion is another tried and true solution.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1643827406430.gif
@Christine12397

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps you could gently set large flagstones over the liner to keep the liner from rising up. That might work depending what the water pressure of your 'hippo' might be.

Ask a Question