Pond Net Experience

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't know why that text was underlined but so be it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@j.w Floyd wrote me back after looking at the pictures and said his manager said they will dip the net in the black stuff, provided I don't order several lbs of netting. They sell this netting by the pound. I have to measure my pond and estimate how much netting I'll need to raise it over the pond and have it drape down.

@Jhn Thank you for the information on West Coast netting. Do you happen to know the type of netting you ordered, material and size of the weave. How did you hang it over your pond? I like the idea of not really noticing it :)

@GBBUDD I didn't think of golf netting. Did you purchase netting from one of these companies?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes and it was within a week and i highly recommend they sew in the rope . if you look at mu post tula i have photos with the net across the back yard " i don't cover the top of the pond i made like an open avery at the top. the flight path for the birds has been taken away . Blue heron can drop into an area with minimal room to fly in and land but thats not the case in trying to fly out . they need room to get going and into the air the same is true for osprey they dive bomb but they need a runway to take off . i removed that runway. and the eagle they need the runway in and out. So far this theory has worked . on my blog below go to page 29 you can see the net across the yard but you can't

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is the model I bought. https://www.westcoastnetting.com/k18t-5/ 5” mesh rope bound.
I have a fence around my pond that I redid leaving posts up about 8-9’ tall, hung Pulleys near tops of posts, ran black cord through pulleys under net and pulled the net tight, bringing the sides down tight to top of fence And tied of to eyes. Here are some close ups of it....

A58B19E8-A636-49FC-AA9C-663B2044DF93.jpeg
AA4EA1DF-01EC-482D-83DA-E6C31DBDCF01.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Tula The netting that JW got was a lot finer than mine. It did not last here, totally ripped apart. I got mine from the same company but a thicker thread. It would never have lasted over my big pond. I had it over the 1000 gallon stock tank.

Let me find the number for you, I do have it posted here somewhere.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what @mrsclem used

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is what I used, it is just now starting to break a little, was going to replace it this summer but it is still doing a good job. So maybe next summer. And they black coated mine, I did need to use fishing line to make the net wide enough, so next net I am going to try and get one wide enough. I need over 20 feet in width.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and I also used poly rope woven around the edge of the net to keep its shape and hang it. The rope is also wearing out it has been out there for years, like 5 plus

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the model I bought. https://www.westcoastnetting.com/k18t-5/ 5” mesh rope bound.
I have a fence around my pond that I redid leaving posts up about 8-9’ tall, hung Pulleys near tops of posts, ran black cord through pulleys under net and pulled the net tight, bringing the sides down tight to top of fence And tied of to eyes. Here are some close ups of it....

View attachment 128103
View attachment 128104

That looks like what I need.
Having my pergola built over the pond soon. My plan was to get 4 sections of net and just hang the net like a curtain on each side of the pergoal. Don't have to worry about the topside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula The netting that JW got was a lot finer than mine. It did not last here, totally ripped apart. I got mine from the same company but a thicker thread. It would never have lasted over my big pond. I had it over the 1000 gallon stock tank.

Let me find the number for you, I do have it posted here somewhere.
Thank you, I appreciate it....I'd like it to hold up. I'm thinking of having it 6-7 feet over the pond and having it up from Spring till Fall. Once Fall hits, I'll use my fine mesh net to trap block small debris.....then I switch over to the hideous pool solar cover over the winter.

BTW, I'm going to take pics of bog plants sprouting and see if you can identify them for me. I bought some plastic plant markers I want to use until I'm familiar with them. Things are growing, but slowly, it's been a cool Spring. I added a Marsh Marigold to my Trickers order the other day and am looking forward to getting those plants mid May.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It has worked for JW, the one she got, for me it rotted and ripped real easily.
I just wrote Floyd and asked him which net is stronger, for my climate / setting. He is so nice and very helpful. I will also look into West Coast Netting today.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will need to replace mine in the next year. It is starting to break down in spots but has been up 24/7-365 since I got it.

Ask a Question