Pond netting and fish on the wrong side of the net

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree, neither of those look to be venomous, However the brown may not be venomous they can have a nasty bite, and they aren't afraid to bite and hold on. That one is also pretty dangerous to a pond, not only does it like frogs, but if it can get the fish it will eat them as well. the black snake is not a normal fish threat. It was probably after a frog, OR the brown snake, for dinner.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks JB & fishin- Looked up the id & it was a northern water snake. Good to know it's not venomous but still a scary snake. We have a lot of people in this area bitten by copperheads every year. Makes me really thing twice about getting into the ponds to do any work.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Another one showed up! Hoping someone can confirm its a northern water snake. This one was still alive and man was he angry! Still had one section of overhead net on the ground and when I went to lift it up, it got yanked out of my hand. He had managed to pull part of it thru a milk crate that was by the pond so no cutting him loose alive.(not sure I would have anyway). I HATE SNAKES!!!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
Another one showed up! Hoping someone can confirm its a northern water snake. This one was still alive and man was he angry! Still had one section of overhead net on the ground and when I went to lift it up, it got yanked out of my hand. He had managed to pull part of it thru a milk crate that was by the pond so no cutting him loose alive.(not sure I would have anyway). I HATE SNAKES!!!
Water snakes tend to be more aggressive than most snakes. I'm not sure the reason for it, likely just a defense to appear more dangerous since its all they have to scare large things away.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
019.JPG020.JPGForgot to download the pic- Is there anything that will keep these things away. I have heard snake repellants don't work. I'm running out of frogs and I'm afraid the fish are next. I won't get in my ponds till the water is clear to make sure no snakes. I read they can stay under for an hour.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
I'm running out of frogs and I'm afraid the fish are next.
Well, since they consider it a food source, they will continue to return. If I were in your situation I personally would relocate them any time I found one. If there is a nice pond or lake a couple miles away they would probably stick around it for the most part. I couldn't bare to see injured or dead ones around all the time since I love all wildlife.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If we ever found a copper head or cotton mouth in our pond my husband would show up the same day with a dump truck full of concrete and fill her in :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
mrsclem said:
attachicon.gif
019.JPG
attachicon.gif
020.JPGForgot to download the pic- Is there anything that will keep these things away. I have heard snake repellants don't work. I'm running out of frogs and I'm afraid the fish are next. I won't get in my ponds till the water is clear to make sure no snakes. I read they can stay under for an hour.
By the shape of the head I would say that is a venomous snake!!

PHY_pit_vipers.gif

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only time I see these water snakes is after they get caught in the netting. Maybe since all the frogs are gone now the snakes won't come back. we have a stream that runs alone the edge of our property and I'm sure that's where they are coming from.
Pecan- at first I thought it was a copperhead because of the coloring and head shape but pretty sure it is a northern water snake. Copperheads have a hersheys kiss shape in the pattern. Either way, this snake wanted to bite! Don't want to kill anything but I also don't want to run into one of these and get bit. We are trying to clear the brush around the pond area but didn't get it done early enough and now won't go into the area. Much rather have this running around the yard. It won't get caught in the net!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I were you I'd open the mouth of a dead one with a stick and see if it has fangs. Only venomous snakes have fangs. And if it does, I would move to Siberia ;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pecan said:
By the shape of the head I would say that is a venomous snake!!
Pecan, I can assure you it is not venomous. I know the snake species in my area VERY well, since I look for them to photograph all spring/fall. I see watersnakes all the time, only second to garter snakes. Watersnakes and Copperheads look nothing alike in my eyes.

An easy way to tell if a snake is venomous, is that most venomous snakes have slit eyes, while non venomous have round eyes. Watersnakes usually have a more organized look to their pattern. Also, Watersnakes have a duller color than most copperheads.
As you can see, the Copperhead is on the left:
0485copy_zps1142a7d4.png

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
After looking closer, this guy did have round pupils but I have read that there are some venomous snakes that do as well. Thinking some in Australia. Any suggestions as to how to get these guys to leave? Don't mind the black snakes & garter snakes but these are just too aggressive and they eat fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I figured out what type of snake it is... Coming from the Maryland area, trying to steal what does not belong to it and slithering on it's belly it MUST be a Congressman!!!

They are the most dangerous of all snakes.

I don't know how to get rid of them, but I have been trying for years. If I ever figure it out I will yet know :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Good one Pecan! Needed a laugh as my legs are still shaking realizing how close I came to getting bit. Staying inside for the rest of the day enjoying the AC & watching golf. I may try putting down some moth balls. Maybe a dome over the entire area??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A fresh killed venomous snake can still bite. People will cut off head of rattlesnake then try and pick up head and get bite. Some thing to do with a snakes nervous system. Were the saying a snakes not dead till the sun goes down comes from

Ask a Question