Pond netting and fish on the wrong side of the net

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Litzi1964, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Litzi1964

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Well, since they consider it a food source, they will continue to return. If I were in your situation I personally would relocate them any time I found one. If there is a nice pond or lake a couple miles away they would probably stick around it for the most part. I couldn't bare to see injured or dead ones around all the time since I love all wildlife.

JBtheExplorer, Jul 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Litzi1964

pecan

If we ever found a copper head or cotton mouth in our pond my husband would show up the same day with a dump truck full of concrete and fill her in :(

pecan, Jul 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Litzi1964

pecan

By the shape of the head I would say that is a venomous snake!!

[​IMG]

pecan, Jul 14, 2013
  4. Litzi1964

mrsclem mrsclem

The only time I see these water snakes is after they get caught in the netting. Maybe since all the frogs are gone now the snakes won't come back. we have a stream that runs alone the edge of our property and I'm sure that's where they are coming from.
    Pecan- at first I thought it was a copperhead because of the coloring and head shape but pretty sure it is a northern water snake. Copperheads have a hersheys kiss shape in the pattern. Either way, this snake wanted to bite! Don't want to kill anything but I also don't want to run into one of these and get bit. We are trying to clear the brush around the pond area but didn't get it done early enough and now won't go into the area. Much rather have this running around the yard. It won't get caught in the net!

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
    mrsclem, Jul 14, 2013
  5. Litzi1964

pecan

If I were you I'd open the mouth of a dead one with a stick and see if it has fangs. Only venomous snakes have fangs. And if it does, I would move to Siberia ;)

pecan, Jul 14, 2013
  6. Litzi1964

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Pecan, I can assure you it is not venomous. I know the snake species in my area VERY well, since I look for them to photograph all spring/fall. I see watersnakes all the time, only second to garter snakes. Watersnakes and Copperheads look nothing alike in my eyes.

An easy way to tell if a snake is venomous, is that most venomous snakes have slit eyes, while non venomous have round eyes. Watersnakes usually have a more organized look to their pattern. Also, Watersnakes have a duller color than most copperheads.
    As you can see, the Copperhead is on the left:
    [​IMG]

JBtheExplorer, Jul 14, 2013
  7. Litzi1964

mrsclem mrsclem

After looking closer, this guy did have round pupils but I have read that there are some venomous snakes that do as well. Thinking some in Australia. Any suggestions as to how to get these guys to leave? Don't mind the black snakes & garter snakes but these are just too aggressive and they eat fish!

mrsclem, Jul 14, 2013
  8. Litzi1964

pecan

I figured out what type of snake it is... Coming from the Maryland area, trying to steal what does not belong to it and slithering on it's belly it MUST be a Congressman!!!

They are the most dangerous of all snakes.

I don't know how to get rid of them, but I have been trying for years. If I ever figure it out I will yet know :)

pecan, Jul 14, 2013
  9. Litzi1964

mrsclem mrsclem

Good one Pecan! Needed a laugh as my legs are still shaking realizing how close I came to getting bit. Staying inside for the rest of the day enjoying the AC & watching golf. I may try putting down some moth balls. Maybe a dome over the entire area??

mrsclem, Jul 14, 2013
  10. Litzi1964

Nyboy

A fresh killed venomous snake can still bite. People will cut off head of rattlesnake then try and pick up head and get bite. Some thing to do with a snakes nervous system. Were the saying a snakes not dead till the sun goes down comes from

Nyboy, Oct 15, 2017
  11. Litzi1964

mrsclem mrsclem

4 year old thread!

mrsclem, Oct 15, 2017
  12. Litzi1964

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    @mrsclem , since it's brought up, how or what did you do for this problem?

IPA, Oct 17, 2017
  13. Litzi1964

mrsclem mrsclem

I now use the gill netting that Addy uses. I haven't seen any snakes this year and very few frogs as we have hawks that sit above the pond. I suspect they are eating most of the frogs.

mrsclem, Oct 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question