Pond pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! I think you mean the cardinal flowers - the tall ones at the back?
yes, see they are of the lobelia family. We always plant the blue ones as annuals. I like that this variety is a perennial.
Are they planted in the pond or the perimeter?
65798.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Both. They started as a marginal and have re-seeded themselves around the edges of the pond. I love them! They say they are the reddest red of any flowering plant. Hummingbirds LOVE them.
I bought a Cardinal Lobelia this year, it says it's a perennial but I doubt it would survive freezing where it's at, should I plant the pot in the ground, in the Fall and dig it out in Spring?
Love your pond...but you already knew that:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine comes back every year right where it is - it's both in the pond and out of the pond. One tip - don't cut it down in the fall. Leave the dried stems and heads. The stems are tubular, so you don't want water to get into them and freeze or they will die AND the heads will drop seeds so you'll have babies in the spring!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine comes back every year right where it is - it's both in the pond and out of the pond. One tip - don't cut it down in the fall. Leave the dried stems and heads. The stems are tubular, so you don't want water to get into them and freeze or they will die AND the heads will drop seeds so you'll have babies in the spring!
Interesting, never knew that. I always cut things back, so good to know. My cardinals are just starting to take off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Mmathis - my standard is if it can hold itself upright, it stays put until spring. If it's going to flop into the pond, I cut it back. I find even the dead plant material serves a purpose as it forms a barrier to leaves blowing into the pond. Plus the leaves that gather around the plant help insulate it from the bitter cold.

Cardinal flowers are interesting - as soon as you see the new green leaves beginning to emerge, the old stems will just come right up out of the ground with barely a tug.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I planted a cardinal plant last week. It wasn't easy to find. I was told they can reseed themselves, but if they don't, they probably won't come back in my zone. Glad to know to leave it alone :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine is in a pot, on a rock with only the bottom inch in water...I can leave it there just as is, but can I collect seeds just in case that one doesn't make it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine is in a pot, on a rock with only the bottom inch in water...I can leave it there just as is, but can I collect seeds just in case that one doesn't make it?

I would never rely on a plant in a pot to overwinter. In the ground, you have a chance. So yes, I would either save seed or make sure it scatters in the surrounding area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Gorgeous pond!

I'm In the middle of FINALLY building my much needed bog. I've been wanting to do this for a while now. Last year my pond water never really cleared up much. I'm hoping the bog will cure this.

The bog will be about 14 ft. X 5 ft. And approximately 12" deep. It's a rough dig since our Pennsylvania soil is very rocky on this mountain. My liner came last week. I opted for HDRPE instead of EPDM.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really like your pond! It is so perfect. I wish I could have one that big. Mine is in my pool area, I could expand it some but not like what you have here. It's really amazing.

Aww - thanks! We sure do love it! It's constantly changing and evolving... so fun to watch!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good luck @poconojoe - I think you will love having bog filtration. For me, an added plus is one more place to grow things! I love playing around with what's growing in the bog from year to year.

Ask a Question