pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again everyone just wondering what is the correct procedure with my pond plants now, they are all showing signs of wilting and die back, should i cut the foliage off now or wait untill they are completly brown, just thaught they could contaminate the water if left to long, we,ve had a few cold nights down to 2-3 degrees c thanks in advance Mikedd

Reaction score
It's good to clear dead plant material out of your pond before winter, but the plants also benefit from having their foliage left on for as long as possible because the roots continue to extract nutrients from the leaves.
So my advice is to not leave it too late, but don't do it too soon. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's good to clear dead plant material out of your pond before winter, but the plants also benefit from having their foliage left on for as long as possible because the roots continue to extract nutrients from the leaves.
So my advice is to not leave it too late, but don't do it too soon. ;)
Thanks for that M W i,ll keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks.

Reaction score
A woody plant like Althaea officinalis shouldn't cut back in the fall imo. Trim dead wood in the spring for these.

Many pond plants are tropical and these are better not cut back and instead brought inside. In climates with only light freezing it can be best to leave dead material on tropicals (as long as not actually in the water) as some protection.

I think it's best to deal with each species of plant how that species reacts to your specific climate.

Ask a Question