Pond queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I bought my first pond a few weeks ago and it is all set up and I have had my first 5 goldfish in for a week now and all seems fine.

I’ve tested the water and done my first partial water change after a week (10-15%).

I have a pump and filter and UV light and have got 3 pond plants in.

I have a couple of queries. First of all my pond is 592 litres. How many goldfish am I ok to keep in that? I have 5 currently and I am hoping to go up to 10/15.

secondly my first five have been in for a week and all seems ok. How long should I wait before introducing another 5??

thanks in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

#1 Don't add anymore fish your pond needs to cycle, get the good bacteria going. More fish = more waste = ammonia etc build up which might = dead fish.

#2 do you have a test kit?

per a conversion I just did 592 litres = 156 gallons. You are probably already at your limit for fish. They will grow and have babies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Addy.

I will leave it for now. The shop I got it from said I would be ok for 5 more.
Do you think I would be ok with that if I test regular and keep on top of the water quality??

yes I’ve got a testing kit and test twice a week at the minute with a partial water change once a week.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you get more fish, get some fan tails, they stay small, imho. But again, let your water cycle and keep on top of the water tests. Water changes also help with any build ups.

Excellent filtration also helps and a bunch of plants, they eat up the excess stuff in the water.

Post some pictures of your set up, it helps us help you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Addy,

I’ve got a few plants in there. Filter, pump and fountain.

I water test regular and and partial water changes weekly.

plus I add a liquid bacterial from the pond shop once a week to balance the ammonia and nitrate.

Do you think this will help me get a few more?
Thanks

Attachments

• D348A7BA-FEA6-4E58-B359-2DE42D1B6134.jpeg
    D348A7BA-FEA6-4E58-B359-2DE42D1B6134.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 5833B403-97CF-466E-B6B0-244E961D2526.jpeg
    5833B403-97CF-466E-B6B0-244E961D2526.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 26896812-8AD9-4B68-BB99-DDD3DF655A25.jpeg
    26896812-8AD9-4B68-BB99-DDD3DF655A25.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 64
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask aswell is there a good chance the fish will breed? If so what do you normally do because obviously if there gets too much I won’t be able to keep them all.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When the fish mature they will breed, so dont get any more for now. If you do, it will get crowded and your filtration won't be able to handle all that excess fish waste and your water quality will suffer.

Many of us believe that buying "bacteria " is just a way to pry money from your wallet. Your pond will naturally produce it's own bacteria, no need to add anything. As long as you have all the components to contribute to the natural cycle you can just let nature do it's own thing. These components are fish, plants, aeration or at least good movement (splashing) of water, good filtration.

If your home's water is treated with chlorine, you'll need to treat it with a dechlorinizer before adding water to your pond. Don't rinse your filter out with chlorinated water, it will kill the good bacteria. Don't wash off the biofilm growing on the walls of your pond. That is an intricate part of your natural filtration. Never do a complete water change or washing out of your pond.

I'm not a big advocate of doing any water changes, but some are. I just leave my pond be and it does fine. I feel that it's best to not tinker with things.

Your pond should not be a constant burden or you will lose interest quickly. It should not be a lot of work or maintenance. It should almost run itself. Mine does, especially with the bog filter. I do zero maintenance. All I do is go out there, feed the fish and enjoy the sound of splashing water.

If you think you have water quality issues, there's always a natural way to fix things. Just ask here and you'll get some good answers from knowledgeable and friendly members.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello! Ditto what @addy1 has already said. With smaller volumes of water, you have to be more careful as the water quality can go downhill quickly. Ordinarily we don’t recommend water changes on a regular basis, but in your case, that is probably a good thing. Your pond is probably closer to being an outdoor aquarium than a pond. Don’t add any more fish, and yes, they WILL breed.

I love your pond! I haven’t seen one that shape before, and it is very nice!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If so what do you normally do
Mine spawn like crazy, I don't feed the fish in the summer or winter, just very seldom toss some food in. The fish therefore inhale the eggs that get laid and eat some of the small fry that manage to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone.

I’m slightly disappointed having bought this with the understanding I could have around 10 fish in.

what is the advice if they do spawn and I do not have room? Literally just leave them to be eaten?
Thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

I’m slightly disappointed having bought this with the understanding I could have around 10 fish in.

what is the advice if they do spawn and I do not have room? Literally just leave them to be eaten?
Thanks
You could have 10 fish in it, if small like fan tails. They will spawn, some of the fry will survive, down the road you will need to move some out. OR set up some excellent filtration. Bog filter, plants, etc to help fight the excess biological matter the fish will put in the water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again. Do shops normally take fish if you have to move them? Or is it a case of seeing if someone will take them off your hands?

thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again. Do shops normally take fish if you have to move them? Or is it a case of seeing if someone will take them off your hands?

thanks
You can always try to take them back to the store, but I doubt that you’ll have success with that. Most on here who have to rehome fish either go to places like Craigslist, or give them to friends who have ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

Thanks
what you have to understand is goldfish CAN reach a size of 16". Imagine having 10 of those in your 156 gallon outdoor aquarium. And, fish exspel exponentially more waste as they grow. It isn't just length of fish, it's also girth. As almost every ponder will tell you; I shoulda made my pond bigger! You're already at this stage, it seems. Learn with what you have and limit the fish total while you do. I have no doubt you'll find a way to make/buy/build a larger pond in the near future. Then 10 won't be your limiting factor!

Ask a Question