sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always say I'm done but come up with one more thing a friend gave me the metal work and I wanted someplace to show it off .

Attachments

• pond new trellis 013.jpg
    pond new trellis 013.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 299
  • pond new trellis 017.jpg
    pond new trellis 017.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 282

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like the Welcome sign that's nice! Nice work they do! I guess that's the first time I've seen a good pic of Bert. You were talking about what Aggie was worth. I wouldn't be surprised if bert wasn't worth a pretty little penny to the right person himself. I'm going to take a shot at what I think he would be called. Do you know? Wonder just how close I actually am. LOL I like him! Doitsu Kin Kikokryu also saw one called a Champagne Koi.
I also really like that Shubunkin in the second pic, the one with the dark black spots! That's a fine looking fish there!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bert was a whole 4 dollars if I remember correctly and aggie was 5 dollars .One of them with the long flowing fins is a fancy tail or what I was told and the other is a butterfly and they cost me 6 and 7 dollars all the rest cost me a dollar ,except for the fantails popeye and olive oil were around 3 dollars .Sometimes the guy I get them from thinks there ugly or plain and puts them in the 1 dollar tanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well you have done good sissy, they are beautiful. Love the welcome sign!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took a metal welding class at a local welding shop in Danville .I think the laser cutting part is the neatest part of the whole thing .Reminds me of P.A. when I was a kid .Horse and carriage was the way we got around up there in the summer when we spent the summer at our house up there .Dad stayed in NJ and took us up for the summer for a couple of weeks and since mom didn't drive ,my uncle down the street loaned us horse and carriage

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Speaking of laser cutting, and fish, you guys would probably like these. The one bass, sitting on a wood table, I cut out a few years ago.

Back in my 2nd shift hourly days, when the shop had to work on friday nights (we usually worked four 10 hour days and I just had to be there during overtime for damage control) They would work thier merry little hearts out and I would take requests on what they wanted me to program and run that night. I've run everything from bass for the fisherman in the building, to tractors (I did a deere symbol, and then I did a massey tractor) sports teams (I have a huge iowa hawkeye logo, a football helmet with a hawk on it, chicago cubs keychains, a big cubs symbol, I can't eventhink of it all, alot of it is hanging on the walls in my basement bar)

Anyways, the other two are random ones I have drawn up but have yet to cut out. But now that I've seen your sign, Im thinking about cutting out a bunch of these fish and putting them in the area around my pond, maybe hang them on the fence.
View attachment 6355

View attachment 6356

View attachment 6357

Attachments

• 170752_10150144797286057_654711056_7971368_4603606_o.jpg
    170752_10150144797286057_654711056_7971368_4603606_o.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 212
  • fish1.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 246
  • fish2.pdf
    58.9 KB · Views: 218

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love this shop he also is a glass blower and everything he makes is great .I was lucky my friend payed for the classes and that's why it was from him .The things you can make are amazing these days .I am thinking of letting him build me a metal shade structure over my master bedroom deck .I would want him to design it ,but to my taste .He has some great ideas but if you let him run with them it could get weird LOL .I cannot believe some of the custom stuff he does .I was thinking of a tree design for the structure .Since this house is in the country with lots of tree's I thought it would be fitting

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure about that butterfly design it looks like a Japanese weapon of sorts .Needs a little more lacy look and defining the head and wings better .Butterflies are more gracious and flowing that looks a little harsh .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I work for an aeronautical manufacturing company, so we don't cut anything pretty, but I came from another company that used lasers to do alot of decorative products, so when I walked into here, I knew what this laser was capapble of doing, and I use it every chance I get to make stuff like that. Like I said, I have a bar in my basement full of stuff I've cut over the years. Im a Cnc machinist, metal worker, welder, fabricator, and now an engineer, but I've never done anything with glass, it looks really interesting though.

One of these days I'd love to buy myself a laser or plasma cutting table and just sit at home a design stuff like this all day. You can make a pretty penny in the metal yard art industry. We used to cut those yard wind spinner things (i dont know what they are called) at the company isude to work at. We made them by the hundreds and charged them $3.33 a piece to cut them, they painted them and put a glass orb in the middle boxed them up and turned around and sold them for $35 a piece.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I go to some of the craft fairs and see a lot of that kind of stuff and it always looks great but the prices were out of this world .I love how you can make something as cold and rough as metal into something soft and pretty to the eye .Glass blowing is another thing that grabs my heart to watch and see fluid lines come into shape.I guess you must really like your line of work and being able to create something that will last a lifetime .I would probably love seeing your work .I think I spent hours at this shop just looking at everything .I was the first women he ever taught ,he said good ole southern women not interested in this stuff LOL Well I'm not a southern women for sure and I love it .I want to try more .He takes a lot of recycle junk and makes art out of it also .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
sissy said:
not sure about that butterfly design it looks like a Japanese weapon of sorts .Needs a little more lacy look and defining the head and wings better .Butterflies are more gracious and flowing that looks a little harsh .

The first one? Its supposed to be more of a tribal type thing I guess. I like the second one alot better though..

Ask a Question