Pond Setup Consideration

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As I am about to build only my second pond ever, I would like to pass a few details that I am planning for it and if the particular set-up will suffice. I would like to have at least 3 Koi in this pond with possible Shubunkins

Pond Size will be: 9 feet X 5 feet X 3 feet deep rectangle. Aprox. 1010 US Gallons. Volume will be slightly less as I will have a ledge around the entire pond at about 16-18 inches in depth. I am thinking a total volume of 900 Gallons or so???

Pond Pump: Laguna Maxflo 600 GHP, Do I need a bigger one?

Pond Filter: Laguna Maxflo Submersible Filter with bio media. Rated for upto 800 gallon ponds?

Waterfall Filter: Laguna 11 inch weir water filter, this is to combine filtration with the Laguna Maxflo.

Fish I woul like to have in pond: At least 3 X Koi with some Shubunkins.

Will this setup suffice or do I need to bump it up. I am trying to avoid going with the pressureized filter systems and I would rather not put a skimmer in.

My previous pond was slightly smaller at around 600-700 gallons. It was a pond kit containing a 500GPH pump. I added a Laguna submersible filter and only use the fountain/sprinkler head that came with the kit (no waterfall) and had several fish that seemed to keep fine over 2 years?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. :sad:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you really should turn over your ponds water volume at least once an hour...minimum 1000gph pump. underwater filters are generally garbage...whats the capacity of the waterfall basin filter?

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
you really should turn over your ponds water volume at least once an hour...minimum 1000gph pump. underwater filters are generally garbage...whats the capacity of the waterfall basin filter?

Hi Koiguy,

Thanks for the quick reply. With regards to the pump, the next one up is a 900 GPH, so I will return the 600 as I have not opened it yet. I thought I should have gone to turning the entire volume of water out but many sites mentioned you only needed to turn 1/2 the volume of water per/hr.

The Waterfall basin Laguna Filter has an 11 inch weir and is rated for 1000 Gallon ponds.

I am not a fan of the pressurized filter styles and I am not handy at making these DIY barrell filters and such. Not sure how to handle the filtration?

Cheers.

Reaction score
I would do a 1000 gph pump for waterfall. Also, add a filter pump combo for a fountain. I bought a pondmaster one that is "500" gph. This just helps with the filtration and adds a fountain head. When I am at home, I will post pics of my pumps!!!

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
I would do a 1000 gph pump for waterfall. Also, add a filter pump combo for a fountain. I bought a pondmaster one that is "500" gph. This just helps with the filtration and adds a fountain head. When I am at home, I will post pics of my pumps!!!

Thanks for the reply 27Goldfish.

The next step up from the Laguna 900 is the 1300 which may or may not be over kill as my pond should be around the 900 gallon mark but it's something to look at.

I like your idea of having the fountain head operating as well!! My last pond only had the fountain head as a water return. The pump was attached to A Laguna Max submersible Bio filter where the water was drawn into then was returned to the pond via the fountain head.

One quick question. I believe the Laguna pumps have 2 out takes that should allow for the waterfall and fountain head to run at the same time but if not, is there a splitter I need to get for the pump???

Thanks again.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
go up to atleast 1000gph or even 1200 ..especially if you have a waterfall it will look better and do a better job of aerating the pond..oxygen levels are truley important.. for the fish and the filter, higher oxygen levels help support a healthy large colony of aerobic bacteria, which eliminates the toxins, and even helps in algea suppression. the biggest benefit of running a pump and fountain is oxygenation but its cheaper to run an airpump and a couple airstones. and the air pump and stones do create circulation in the pond too,to help eliminate dead spots

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
go up to atleast 1000gph or even 1200 ..especially if you have a waterfall it will look better and do a better job of aerating the pond..oxygen levels are truley imortant.. for the fish and the filter higher oxygen levels help support a healthy large colony of aerobic bacteria, which eliminates toxins, and even helps in algea suppression. the biggest benefit of running a pump and fountain is oxygenation but its cheaper to run an airpump and acouple stones. and the air pump and stones do create circulation in the pond too,to help eliminate dead spots

Thank you Koiguy. I believe you are both right. I do not want to do this half way.

How does this sound? I bump up to the Laguna 1300 pump. I do believe it has 2 X out takes which will allow me to run both the Laguna waterfall filter and Fountain head at the same time while the water is being drawn into the pump via a Laguna Max Flo Submersible filter with Bio media rocks.

There will also be dual filtration from the media that is held in the waterfall basin.

I think this may work well?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Carpe_Diem said:
I would like to have at least 3 Koi in this pond with possible Shubunkins

Pond Size will be: 9 feet X 5 feet X 3 feet deep rectangle. Aprox. 1010 US Gallons. Volume will be slightly less as I will have a ledge around the entire pond at about 16-18 inches in depth. I am thinking a total volume of 900 Gallons or so???
That ledge is a heron feeder. Consider making the entire pond at least 3 feet deep and using stands or floating pots for your plants.

How deep will the pond be? 3' is good for goldfish, but koi want at least 4'. They are big fish and 1000 gallons is a bit cramped for them. One rule of thumb is 1000 gallons for the first koi, and 250 for each additional koi. Another is 500 gallons per koi. Either way, you wind up with 1500 gallons for just 3 fish. Insufficient volume and depth is one of the main complaints people have about their ponds, but I've never heard anyone complain they made their pond too big or too deep.

Consider a bottom drain. Done right, it will save you a lot of trouble.

Ask a Question