Pond volume help

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
its not oval , they are 3 rectangles with specific LWD i dont think from avg formula accurate answer will come , the avg is when there is curve from one measurement to other . if we didnt know its width of each segment we just knew its total length and 3 max min points then we wud apply average

suppose if he has only one segment of pond (5'Lx8'Wx1.6'D) = 5x8x1.6 = 64 x 7.48 = 478g how can only one segment of pond be more then 3 segments 310g ur total? . we will take 3 segments as rectangles and add them . take them as 3 separate ponds then calculate there volume .

. if we had a pond 9 ft long total and in middle 3ft wide then 2 ft wide then 5 ft wide irregular then we add them divide by 3 for avg , but not in this case bcz we have specific width depth for each segment

But there are no rectangles in this pond or straight lines. It is free-form and it is one pond not three (3).

A more accurate calculation could be made if all of the taken measurements were at one (1) foot spacing, but the total would not vary much from the calculated capacity using the given measurements. You will not find anyone that constructs ponds that would use your suggested means of determining volume if a meter was not available.

Maybe the OP can secure a meter and determine the exact capacity

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I read this to be all in feet.
Here are my computations.

Length = 2 + 5 + 3 = 10 total feet avg. length = 3.3 feet
Width = 5 + 8 + 6.9 = 19,9 total feet avg. width = 6.6 feet
Depth = 1 + 1.6 + 3 = 5.6 total feet avg depth = 1.9 feet
3.3 x 6.6 x 1.9 = 41.4 cubic feet x 7.48 gallons/cubic foot = 310 gallons

Apparently I did make an error in the original calculations. I have rechecked these current figures and they are correct/

Actually if one looks at the furnished photo, this pond has fairly wide shelving which apparently was not included in the given measurements, so the capacity is much, much lower than the corrected volume of 310 given above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
But there are no rectangles in this pond or straight lines. It is free-form and it is one pond not three (3).

A more accurate calculation could be made if all of the taken measurements were at one (1) foot spacing, but the total would not vary much from the calculated capacity using the given measurements. You will not find anyone that constructs ponds that would use your suggested means of determining volume if a meter was not available.

Maybe the OP can secure a meter and determine the exact capacity
when we have measurement of L W sides wuth equal opposite sides and one is more then other , its considered rectangle sir :)
  1. a plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square.
when we say rectangle it means by large rectangle , not by measuring angles accurately but aprox
did u calculate one segment whats the answer ? isnt it more then ur total , how can it be?

this is how it is , and gallons measurement of only #1 is more then ur total #1+#2+#3thats why there is error in ur calculation
calculate #1 (5'Lx8'Wx1.6'D) from this calculator http://www.pondvolumecalculator.com/
answer will be 480g of only #1
sadsad.png

we r taking it 3 separate segments bcz each has its own Length width depth , yes they are one pond lol when we divide earth in longitude latitude , its still one earth but for calculations we divide .

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
a plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square.

Exactly! Show me even one right angle in this pond or one straight side. This is not a rectangle'
Here are some calculators for irregularly shaped ponds. None of these take into account planting shelves so that volume must be subtracted from any total.
http://www.gardenponds.com/Kidney-shaped-pond-calculator.html

http://www.justliners.com/kidneyshapeponds.htm

https://www.greatlakesbiosystems.com/node/1377

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Exactly! Show me even one right angle in this pond or one straight side. This is not a rectangle'
Here are some calculators for irregularly shaped ponds. None of these take into account planting shelves so that volume must be subtracted from any total.
http://www.gardenponds.com/Kidney-shaped-pond-calculator.html

http://www.justliners.com/kidneyshapeponds.htm

https://www.greatlakesbiosystems.com/node/1377
lol uncle , none of these are this shape how wil i explain u when u have Length width depth of columns , average will not apply , they are for irregular and oval shapes , in kidney shape there is curve from max point to min width , no straight line between them thats why to compensate that we take avrg of high and low points , we need a Math teacher to explain this in a better way to u , u didnt reply my question about one segment calculation , i leave it here

what i found in ur site https://www.greatlakesbiosystems.com/node/1377
For irregularly shaped ponds, you can also divide the pond up into sections. For example, a kidney-shaped pond could resemble two circles pushed together. Make the calculations and add them up to arrive at the total number of gallons of water in the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meyer, I'm having trouble calculating as you have as well. Given only L x W and D, and knowing it's not a perfect rectangle, still, the volume would be 66 cu ft for just the deepest section, which would mean about 493 gallons for just that part alone. I can't see how rounding corners off and making the deepest part an oval would cut that total almost in half. And looking at the picture, it certainly looks larger than a 300 gallon aquarium would be. Why do you use 'average' when calculating the numbers for volume measurement?

Just wondering. And confused.

Michael

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
average will not apply , they are for irregular and oval shapes

And this pond is irregular shape. Are we looking at the same photo? The pond is at the top of the photo not the bottom. At the bottom is a swimming pool. It is a rectangle.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer, I'm having trouble calculating as you have as well. Given only L x W and D, and knowing it's not a perfect rectangle, still, the volume would be 66 cu ft for just the deepest section, which would mean about 493 gallons for just that part alone. I can't see how rounding corners off and making the deepest part an oval would cut that total almost in half. And looking from the pics, it certainly looks larger than a 300 gallon aquarium would be. Why do you use 'average' when calculating the numbers for volume measurement?

Just wondering. And confused.

Michael

Because you are dealing with an irregular shape, the width, especially, will not be the same at any point along the length. So several measurements of width need be taken and then averaged. Same applies when depth varies. This is for sure an imprecise method of determining but it does supply a 'ballpark' figure for volume. The precise way is to use a water meter.
How did you arrive at 493 gallons for only one section considering the irregular shape?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't consider it irregular, I used the dimensions given. I know it's not a perfect rectangular shape and that the sides will not be perfectly straight, but the numbers given are approximates, yes? Even if I consider this to be rounded, oval, etc, I just can't see the total of the WHOLE pond being almost less than half of the deepest part if it WERE a perfect rectangle. Then there's the next deepest portion that is almost as much (if rectangular) as the deepest part. I used to have a 250 gallon concrete aquarium and know approx what that size looks like; this one easily looks twice the size, even with an irregular shape. I'd be real curious if an accurate number could be determined by the OP. IMO, it would be beneficial for any future dosing. Do they make inexpensive water meters?

Checking...yes, they do;

https://www.amazon.com/Rainwave-RW-...F8&qid=1493354699&sr=8-3&keywords=water+meter

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Take your same 250 gallon rectangular aquarium and round off the inside corners. You will lose volume. Add blocks of safe material too vary the depth with the goal of having shallower areas. You will lose more volume. Now split an 8" pvc pipe and secure it to the mid-point on each side so that it is watertight thus forming a pinch in the center of the aquarium. You will lose more volume. Now add some solid shelving along the sides and end of this aquarium. More volume lost. Now how much of the original 250 gallon volume do you think that you now have. A lot less.
And, I almost forgot, any sloped sides will also reduce the total volume.
You could calculate by thinking of it a two (2) circles and compute the volume based on these. Even computing with this method the total volume for this pond would only be a little over 400 gallons.

There is this from Penn State University-
"Average Length and Width Method: Take numerous measurements to determine the average length and average width. Make certain you get both the longest and shortest distances in calculating the average length, and the widest and narrowest distances for determining the average width. The more measurements that you make, the more accurate your result will be. The area is then calculated by multiplying the average width times the average length. If you do your measurements in feet, your result will be in square feet. You can convert square feet into acres by dividing it by 43,560 ft2 per acre. Depending on the number of width and length measurements made, the final area will probably be within about ±20 percent of the actual pond surface area".

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Because of the shadows, it's hard to tell how deep any one part is.....
IMG_9167.JPG

I assume that the depths are marked off like this image.....?
IMG_9168.JPG

.....which would be roughly like the image below. Is that correct? And is ".1".....is that 1" deep? ......and what about "1.6," is that 1'6"? That's where my confusion comes in because the image is deceptive.
IMG_9170.JPG

But with the shadows at play.......
IMG_9169.JPG

Darn, the best way to tell would be to drain the pond, then refill it using a water meter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
An initial translation of the OP's measurements needs to be done first. It is obvious that the Length and Width measurements are flip-flopped. Width may be equal to but not greater than length.

This is how I assumed that the horizontal measurements were taken.
GPF 1-2.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMG_9172.JPG
IMG_9173.JPG

@Meyer Jordan I'm confused by the measurements, as well, and by their orientation. That big shadow in the center keeps throwing me off, as it appears to be a separate deep spot, so obviously I'm way over analyzing the picture, LOL!

Maybe @Cam could clarify this better for us -- maybe draw on his picture like we've done, as well as clarify what he's considering length vs width. And how big is that fish we can see? That might help as a size reference.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The result of any method of volume calculation for an irregularly shaped pond will, at best, only be a guesstimate for general use. A more accurate determination should be done with a water meter before any dosing of medication should be attempted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gosh I love this forum...... It's amazing how much you can learn when two experts get to arguing.... Love it

Ask a Question